Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Long time Pentax user, new forum user

Hi folks,

I've been using Pentax gear for 35 years. Considering I'm 42, that's not bad at all ;-) My father's camera was a ME Super which I used almost until the year 2000 when I bought my own MZ-7/ZX-7 with a 28-105 lens. I've used them both up until the present days. I've added a 70-300 Sigma zoom during that time.

I've also been using Pentax DSLRs for a number of years (2006) when I bought a *ist-DS2 (using the same lens as for the MZ-7). In 2008 I bought a K200D with a kit lens which I used up until now. I added a Pentax DA70-300 a couple of years ago. My last acquisition was a Tamron 17-50 2.8 a couple of months ago. What a great value! I've been very happy all these years with my equipment.

One of the many things I like about the Pentax photography equipment is that it's usually very good value with lots of features. IE the weather sealing and backward compatibility of the bodies with the older lenses.

Lately I've been looking at the K-5, then the K-30 but I'm now anxiously waiting for Pentax's next DSLR release. I read rumours of a 24 or even 30 mega pixels K-5 replacement and I've decided not to take the plunge for the K-30, hoping that the new camera will be even more interesting (Even though more expensive).

Anyway, apart from talking about gear, I'm an everyday shooter. I take a lot of pics when travelling and I've been thankful for the weather sealing on many occasion when, while fishing, we were caught in the rain. Other than that I like Macro and landscape photography.

Hope we can discuss topics (even though I am the usual shy lurker on forums) and maybe meet sometimes in the Montreal/south-shore area.

Happy shooting!
Marc-Antoine

08-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the collective Marc. I lurked for almost a year before I posted my first photo, now I wonder why I waited so long. This is kind of like taking a tub bath, once you get used to the water, it is not so bad, so jump right in and show us what you have in your archives. No one here bites, so post soon....Cliff
08-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cliff,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I still have to learn my way around in the site, once I get to know the place, I will certainly post. Thanks!

Marc-Antoine
08-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The question you should be asking yourself is do you really need 24 or 30 mega pixels. Photography is not a game where more always equates into better. I'm betting the difference in 5x7 will hardly be discernable and that may even hold true for 8x10. Besides, the larger the number of pixels, the larger the files will be, which slows transfer and processing time and takes up more space.

If I shot poster size prints, I would obviously want to increase the number of pixels, but as it is, I seldom print anything larger than 4x6, and there is no way I could justify a camera reported to cost at least double what my K5 did for that.

BTW: Welcome to the forum!

08-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
The question you should be asking yourself is do you really need 24 or 30 mega pixels
Hi Tom and thanks for your post.

Your comment is right on the spot about the number of pixels. That is not a "need" per say. My post states a number of pixels, but in the end, what I am not satisfied about my K200D is the sensitivity/noise. I have been reading and I have been told that the new cmos sensors are much less prone to noise up until ISO-6400. With my K200D, anything higher than ISO-400 becomes too noisy. I have been trying to manage it using the in camera tool or Lightroom's tools but I have not been satisfied with the results.

Advice and suggestyion is welcomed!

Marc-Antoine
08-01-2012, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I upgraded to the K5 from a K20, and will say the difference was noticeable on every front, but especially in low light focusing. One thing you might consider is waiting until the new Pentax (whatever it might be) is introduced, not only to see what it is, but on the chance it might drive K5 prices lower - although they are pretty low now. I paid $1400 for mine and now they are between $800 and $900. Another aspect of buying the newest model is possibility of it having bugs, like the notorious sensor stain that many of the new K5's (mine included) had.
08-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wasn't aware of the K-5 problems.

I am going to wait until an announcement. Let's see what comes up at photokina...

08-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
I wasn't aware of the K-5 problems.

I am going to wait until an announcement. Let's see what comes up at photokina...
Every camera has problems, but the first batch or so of K-5s developed sensor stains. I am not aware of any K5s in the past year with that problem, so it has obviously been resolved. There have been other problems reported, but they are more sporadic and I attribute them to more under the "if you make enough of something, some of them will have issues" line of thought. If you have concerns, Pentax offers an extended warranty at the time of purchase for $20 that not only adds two years to the original one year (if you buy in the US), but also lets you send it in for cleaning for free one time, which would cost more than the $20, so it's not a bad deal.