Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #1

Getting back into Pentax and going digital!

Hi! I'm new to the forum, but I've been using Pentax camera's since college (90's). I had a photography professor who refused to acknowledge digital, so i learned on a K1000. Had access to medium and large format manual cameras also. Loved it immediately! I loved the magic of the darkroom and the control over printing my own images. However, after school I lost my connection to the darkroom and never did get that home darkroom set up. In 2000 we bought our first digital point and shoot. Been using a variety of brand in that category (Pentax. Fuji, Canon, Sony).
Now I'm lurking on the forums trying to catch up to the technology. I'm shopping for a used K5 right now. Hope to outgrow it pretty quick. Drooling over a 645 (aren't we all?)!
I'm looking forward to making some contacts and getting some advice (once I purchase). So, thanks!

Ria

08-05-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! The k-30 and k-5 are both great cameras which I can highly recommend if you're looking to start with a camera and delivery high image quality and lots of extra features on the side
08-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good to meet you!

Which 645? The D is soooo costly, but...the film versions, the 645, 645n, and 645nii are affordable, and the lenses will fit the D. You could get a 645n and a couple of lenses for under $1000, add a scanner or have it done by a lab, and have killer images. Get a Paterson tank and soup your own BW. Sort of the best of both worlds. When you have space for a darkroom the gear is really cheap on the used market.

And when your ship comes in for the 645D, which I assume you meant, those fine 645 lenses, manual or auto focusing, will work on it. The wonders of Pentax and its backward compatibility.

Speaking of the K-5, I have one on order from Adorama. The current cost of a new K-5, with that new car smell, is so little more that the used examples I saw that for me it was a no-brainer. Plus, Adorama has a two year extension by Pentax of the basic one year warranty for ... $19.95! What's not to like?