Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2006, 03:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Almost a Pentax user...

Hello,

I’m new here but I’m glad to have found this site; it’s reassuring to see a forum site dedicated to a specific camera brand...my thanks to the owner/admin/moderators.

Well, I’m no experienced photographer by any means so please don’t expect much. I do have a good eye for composition, or so I’m told, and taking photographs is something I’ve enjoyed doing since I was young. I’m just returning to photography (I’ve been physically disabled recently and need a cane to get about) so please bear with my amateur status.

I have never owned a Pentax and the only digital camera experience I have is with a Sony Cybershot (sold over 5 years ago, don’t even remember the model) and a Nikon Coolpix 5600 that I purchased for my wife in September 2005. The Nikon works well enough for shots on sunny days and fairly well for some close-ups but personally, I’ve wanted more.

So, for weeks I’ve researched mainly Nikon and Pentax digital SLR’s and I narrowed my choices down to the D40, D50 or the K110D. After comparing these three I realized that the Pentax K110D seemed (to me, at least) to be a (better) combination of the D40 and D50 from Nikon. Anyway, I made my decision and ordered the Pentax online (yesterday) and I should have it in hand by this Wednesday. I’m really excited about it.

To make a long story short (too late, I know) I purchased several other items, simply to build a “starter kit” for myself since I know I’ll immediately need more than just the camera. Below is a list of the items I’ve purchased; if there’s anything anyone can recommend adding to my kit, aside from obviously getting an external flash and better lenses (that’s a given, right?), please let me know (I already own a decent tripod, so that’s taken care of). Thank you.

Pentax K110D Digital SLR Body w/18-55mm Lens

Pentax SLR Holster Bag

Pentax Wide Camera Strap (found on eBay)

Tiffen 52mm Photo Essentials Filter Kit

Giottos Optical Cleaning Kit

Sandisk SD 2.0GB Memory Card

Energizer 15 Minute Charger w/4 AA Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries

Energizer AA Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries (4-pack, bought 2)

AA Battery Case (found on eBay, holds 8 AA batteries)

Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW Camera Bag

GCI Outdoor Quik-E-Seat (from REI.com)

Well, I think that’s everything. I didn't have a ton of money to buy the best of what's available but I think what's here is a good start.

12-31-2006, 03:34 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Cavan Welcome aboard. But I think your title here should be Pentax Owner/almost. It's good to see you enjoy the hobby and I think we all will want to see your shots. Post em anytime and I'm sure you will get all kinds of ways to do it better Don't take it personal but you have to understand the criticisms or praise given here is to ones opinions and only done to help in many cases to make the shot better. It doesn't for any reason mean your shots aren't good. Please keep posting and enjoy your self and your hobby.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
12-31-2006, 04:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Cavan Welcome aboard. But I think your title here should be Pentax Owner/almost. It's good to see you enjoy the hobby and I think we all will want to see your shots. Post em anytime and I'm sure you will get all kinds of ways to do it better Don't take it personal but you have to understand the criticisms or praise given here is to ones opinions and only done to help in many cases to make the shot better. It doesn't for any reason mean your shots aren't good. Please keep posting and enjoy your self and your hobby.
Well said. Always feeling scared of offending people in the forum...
12-31-2006, 04:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
It's good to see you enjoy the hobby and I think we all will want to see your shots. Post em anytime and I'm sure you will get all kinds of ways to do it better Don't take it personal but you have to understand the criticisms or praise given here is to ones opinions and only done to help in many cases to make the shot better. It doesn't for any reason mean your shots aren't good.
Thanks, David. I appreciate that.

Is it Wednesday yet?

12-31-2006, 05:53 PM   #5

Cavan,

Look for "Magic Lantern Guides - Pentax K100D/K110D" by Joe Farace, Published by Lark Books - an excellent publication that has really helped me with the K100D. My daughter has the K110D and is getting a copy.

I just moved fron *istDS2 to K100D after having used my daughters K110D and I am sure you will be very happy.

Best of luck.

Mike
01-03-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Welcome.

I think you're going to start sharing some outstanding images and experiences. Here's something to add to your kit. Get a LensPen! I just got one, and it works really well. It goes everywhere my DS goes now, and I don't worry about dust or smudges on the lens. A UV filter comes in handy too at times.

Anyway, Pentax offers mostly outstanding lenses, and some very well thought out cameras with useful and innovative features. The DA 18-55 (kit lens) is the current cheapest offering, but it's still very good. I find it has been extreemely helpful in teaching me the pros and cons of zoom lenses, and keep in mind that even the most "advanced" photographers will make great use of this lens or anything else for that matter. I think you're going to really enjoy the experience, but beware of LBA. Don't just start buying lenses, learn as much about them as you can all the time. The internet is a great resource!

I think if I had gone the Canon or Nikon route I would have just bought what was available and "affordable" without knowing anything about it, and then I'd probably have felt a little bit jibbed after learning more. That's just me though.
01-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #7

Original Poster
Label me a Pentax OWNER!!

Mike Pearson,

Thanks for the tip; I ordered the last copy Amazon.com had in stock. I can't wait to get the guide, it looks like a great read!

Lipo,

Thanks for the tip on the Lenspen; I just purchased one on eBay. Hopefully, it will be a long time before I need to use it!

And now, to go familiarize myself with my new Pentax K110D...yes, it's finally here!!

01-04-2007, 08:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hello and welcome!

looking forward to your input,

cheers

randy