Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #1

From Canon to Pentax, Good idea?

Hello, I have the opportunity to go from a Canon 40d to a K5. I don't hear much about Pentax and only know one person that has one. I'm wondering if anyone else has switched from Canon to Pentax, what the learning curve was like and if any canon lenses can be used on a Pentax. Thanks in advance for your help!

08-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The k5 is the best "prosumer" body out there. I've shot professionally with Canon and Nikon (one for a studio and one for a wedding photographer).
While you can't really use Canon glass with Pentax (I'm sure there are adaptors out there) the real beauty of the Pentax system is it's commitment to supporting legacy glass and in - the - body SR. You don't have to choose between VR and non VR lenses - they all have the capability through the camera. I know quite a few Nikon and Canon shooters (amateurs) that have had trouble interpreting which lens works with which body. If you have a k5, every single k-mount lens will work with your k5.
If you don't have too much invested in Canon pro glass (which is excellent stuff) it's worth switching.
08-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I used to work at the local art college, and their standard camera was the 40D. I can tell you unreservedly that the K5 is a better camera in every way - faster, much more sturdy, easier to use, better low light capabilities, just... better everything. And I'm not a Pentax fanboy; I use their cameras because they suit me and are the best combination of features and price that I can afford.
08-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
While you can't really use Canon glass with Pentax (I'm sure there are adaptors out there) the real beauty of the Pentax system is it's commitment to supporting legacy glass and in - the - body SR. You don't have to choose between VR and non VR lenses - they all have the capability through the camera. I know quite a few Nikon and Canon shooters (amateurs) that have had trouble interpreting which lens works with which body. If you have a k5, every single k-mount lens will work with your k5.
If you don't have too much invested in Canon pro glass (which is excellent stuff) it's worth switching.
There are no adapters for EOS lenses. There are adapters for Canon manual focus lenses (FL/FD), but they aren't really worth using.

The biggest danger of switching to Pentax is LBA (Lens Buying Addiction). Once you find out how much great older glass is out there you just can't stop buying.

08-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

In a word, YES. I wouldn't jump so quickly to suggest it if you were shooting Nikon but I am definitely not a Canon fan. Any Pentax is a heck of an improvement to a Canon if you ask me. Nikon cameras I kind of like though so I'm not going to diss them, smile.
08-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What do you want to shoot? How?
08-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're skipping multiple generations going from the 40D to the K-5. The time is right, though, with the price reductions. I also recommend getting the 18-135 bundle instead of the kit lens. It really shines on the K-5. I pretty much made that jump when I went from the K-10 to the K-5 - wow.

08-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Of Course

You're asking the question on a Pentax Forum so of course it is a GREAT idea!!
08-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

A couple of people mentioned valid things

What do you shoot?
Do you have an investment in the good Canon glass (lenses are really the biggest expense in a system be it Pentax or Canon.

there is no doubt the K5 crushes the 40D. the comparable unit in Canon is the 7D and in many ways the 5 D crushes it as well (For flash the canon is superior, for fast AF for sports canon is also superior. Ergonomically for me the Pentax wins hands down, once you know the body it;'s far more logical (though some canon users struggle for a few days)

In most ways i'd take Pentax over canon myself. I've shot with (and sold) Canon and though i liked the high end lenses I hated the cameras.

Forget about adapting the lenses to Pentax though.
08-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Here's some things you might want to consider despite all the great things about the K-5. You will lose out in low light autofocus with the K-5, it's not that great and the AF assist lamp doesn't go on when you need it, only until it's really dark does the lamp go on. Going into the K-5 and investing in some higher-end zoom lens line from Pentax such as the DA*'s lenses have some problems with the built-in lens SDM AF motor, causing it to fail and often out of warranty, costing hundreds for repairs. AF tracking on the K-5 is not on par with the competition from Canon or Nikon, so shooting and panning may take a bit more skill. Flash sync on the K-5 is slower than competition, only 1/180s compared to 1/200s-1/500s on Canon and Nikon's topper bodies.

Other than that you get a great weather-sealed magnesium alloy body with great button layout for easy access through the menus and usage for a great price. Oh and use of old MF lenses without an adapter as long as it's k-mount... That's if you care about manual focus lenses.
08-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Why not consider the K-30, or wait for the k-5 replacement in September (possibly)?

The k-5 is really good, and you may not find any issues with it, but it is also a semi-pro camera with a 2 year old AF system. The new k-30 is a bit more newbie friendly, and is reputed to have very good AF in comparison.