Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #1

Advice request from new member

Hello all Pentax people,

I have just joined your merry band.
My sister recently gave me a point-and-shoot digital camera and through using it I have rediscovered the joys of taking photographs. However, I still have a Pentax ME Super 35 mm camera and love it for all the usual SLR reasons and in particular because of its great viewfinder. (at my advanced age I find it very difficult to compose images on the dim and tiny LCD of the point-and-shoot camera, and really impossible when shooting outdoors.)

However, I no longer have a dark room and would like to shoot in colour. I also wish to have the photos as digital files: there is no denying the sheer convenience of them! . Soooo......I am seeking advice from any seasoned folk out there on my best way of proceeding. Is it a good idea to get a scanner? I do not like the idea of putting the scanning into the hands of a corner store outfit. I will shoot initially in color negative and will not print photographs.

I am feeling a bit depressed about this issue because despite my love for the ME Super I suspect that really going completely digital will be so much more convenient than this whole complex (and expensive!) process of having to pay for film development and then scanning it myself.
I suspect that the advice will be to forget the film route altogether.

08-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #2

Sounds like you should get a K-5 or K-30 and keep the lens from your film camera as they work fine on the Pentax dslr's.You could do a fair job or copying your old photos with your new camera.I did this to my old photos but it takes quite a bit of time
08-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even a used older model would do you well, for not a whole lot of money. The K-10, 20, 7, 5 are all nicely built for manual control. It's a little trickier with the 1-wheel models, but once you get the hang of it I'm sure they're fine, too.

It's great to get back in the hobby.
08-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
Many thanks!

08-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do digital, but occasionally I pick up a film camera bundled with lens I want to buy. Sometime I run a roll of film though them and take the film in and ask for the pics on a CD. Sometimes they are OK, but never usually a high enough resolution. I just don't think the operators know what they are doing, these are places like Walgreens and Meijer, maybe an actual photo store would do better.

I think you'll enjoy digital, the intitial outlay for the camera is expensive, but plugging that camera into the computer and downloading your files is a breeze compared to taking a roll of film and paying each time. You may go out and take 5 photos, or 300, no difference in cost (unless you print them). I don't mean to knock film by praising digital, there are people that prefer film and that's fine for them.

But I think you've kind of said already what you really want to do. If you do go digital the +K-30 and K-5 are close in price and features, and are both good bang for the buck. I just bought a K-30 with the 18-135 lens. The advantages of the K-30 fit my needs more than the advantages of the K-5, plus went for the deal to get the 18-135WR lens, which I'm very happy with. If you can't afford the new camera there are used K20D, k-x, and k-r out there.

Whatever you decide, have fun and good luck with it.
08-10-2012, 04:49 AM   #6
Forum Member

Although I still have my Pentax K1000, it's unlikely I'll ever use it again. Using the K5 I acquired this summer, I've shot thousands of photos, and printed about a hundred. I checked my recent receipts; for example I had 19 4"x6" prints delivered to my home for $3.48. That's $0.09 per print and $1.77 shipping.
08-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks to all reponders!

Thanks to all of you kind people who responded. Your opinions and comments will be very helpful to me.