Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New from Renton, Wa

Hello, everybody!

I'm new to Pentax, and somewhat new to photography in general. My dad had an old Ricoh SLR that I was occasionally allowed to play around with, years ago. My wife and I have had a digital camera for several years now, but I was finding that I couldn't get it to take the kind of pictures I wanted. Over Christmas, I got frustrated with the point-and-shoot's limited capabilities and started researching DSLRs.

I got my K10D (w/kit lens) a few weeks ago, and after about 200 shots (only about 5 keepers, and that's with a liberal definition of keeper!), I'm starting to get the feel of things. I'd like to get a faster lens (drooling over the 77 Limited), as a lot of the photos I take are indoors, but I pretty much broke the bank with the original purchase.

Any one have experience with "home studio" photography? Any suggestions of good books on the subject? One of my convincing arguments for buying the camera was that we could save several hundred dollars a year just for the kids' school pictures and other portraits.

01-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi and welcome. I hope you enjoy your K10D as much as I am enjoying mine. If by 'home studio' you mean computer software there are many choices. I've used Paint Shop Photo Pro and it's an affordable alternative to the big names out there. I recently started using Adobe Photoshop Elements and Lightroom because I shoot DNG's and PSP wouldn't recognize the format. Still, there are many more options out there. This forum is a good place to get feedback.
01-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Home Studio

Wow, I guess I'm less informed about all the stuff you can do with photography now. By home studio, I was referring to lighting, backdrops, etc., for amateur type portraiture photography. More hardware stuff than software at this point.