Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #1

Newby

Hi I am a newby and very keen to learn. I would like to know how to set my x90 to be able to take pictures of water drops of water and waterfalls. Hope some advice comes my way Thanks SheilaI

08-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Are you looking to make the water look frozen in space or allow the movement to seem milky?

Freezing it still is a "action" or "sport" mode

It may be best if you use the manual setting or set the speeds and let the camera do the rest (Tv mode).

Tv mode will let you choose the speed. To freeze action, select speeds greater than 1/125. To let movement blur, select speeds slower than 1/30.
08-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
MysteryOnion

Thanks for your reply

The water would be milky for the waterfalls not sure for the drops I am a complete novice. Sorry
08-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Waterfalls are comprised of drops and the light that reflects from those and the shimmery surfaces would look nice as a 'long exposure'.

Called "painting with light"... is a form of photography where you leave the shutter open as long as possible... longer than a second.

This would give a smooth milky looking water fall as well as anything else is moving.

The thing is, you may have way too much light and so the camera would not be able to 'compensate' the 'exposure' and give you the full second or more.

One trick is to get a 'neutral density filter'... sort of sunglasses for cameras. The idea is to reduce the light that the camera would see and then allow for exposure times to be greater than a second. Consider ND2 or ND4 or more, but this means also a need for a tripod to steady camera and keep stationary subjects as still as possible otherwise have a blurry mess... unless you are looking to experiment with that.

08-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks just bought one and sent for a tripod but didnt know how to set camera, also sent for macro lens. and thank you for your help and advice please pass on anything you think might be useful.
08-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
Giveaway winner!

Commonly... and I'm just guessing here... that you might be running the camera in "AUTO PICT" mode.
... by chance have you the manual for the camera?

If you are needing one... Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
... have a look at Page 103...

However, if you look at the top of the camera at your "mode dial" and you will see the "Tv" is one of the settings. Called the "Shutter Priority" mode, it actually means 'Time Volume' in technical speak. Turning it will switch the programmed behavior of your camera and turning it later will restore the camera back to originally set use.

Next important is the "E-dial"... this is the little wheel that can be reached by your thumb when the camera is gripped at the ready. The dial allows you to run through the different speed settings or other settings depending on where the mode dial is set.

So that after selecting the Tv mode, you'll be able to adjust the shutter times to times suggested. Feel free to test the E-dial out.
08-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks I have been experimenting with different settings and I suppose its trial and error after that or is there set rules.

08-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
Giveaway winner!

Do note that based on your original question, I figured Tv mode would be the easier to work with at first. You would select the speed and the camera would figure out the rest. In manual, you would need to set and compensate the speed and appropriate aperture or sensitivity range (ISO).

Here are some other things to think about.

A rough scale of things and how they relate...

Generally thinking about it: <----- shorter time on the shutters/fast shutter speeds.....or..... longer time on the shutter/slow speeds ----------->
Speed the X90 can do: 1/4000th ..... 1/2000..... 1/1000.....1/500 .....1/100 ... ...... 1/50 ....1/30...1/4.. 1/2 ...1...1 1/2... 2... 3 ... 4
Exposure of light to sensor: Less light........................................... ............. ......... ........ ....... ......................................... More light
Action or motion: Freeze action ............................. Steady enough if things stand still ................Smeary, Blurry, Groovy motion

Also,

Do check out the basic rules of photography. You can use film or digital how to books as the rules of photography apply to both.

Understanding Speed, Aperture, Focus, and Depth-of-Field might interest you if you choose to get more advanced in photography.

Hope this is all helpful and do have fun!

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 08-16-2012 at 05:12 PM.
08-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thats exactly what I need Thank you so much.