Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

feels like i'm coming home

Hi everyone

Moving from a p&s canon to a d-slr. Doing my research and the Z10D is calling me. Thought i'd tap into the collective wisdom here before making the purchase. I'd prefer to just buy the body and then begin with a decent "prime normal" lens and eventually a good zoom.

I'm very much an amateur and now i'm in semi-retirement so i'm hoping to refine my skills and creativity. I enjoy available light shooting (indoors and outdoors) and would like to avoid flash if possible. I like to take tight casual portraits and explore the urban night-scene. Any suggestions about lenses would be very much appreciated. I think most of my photos would be 8x10s with an occasional larger size if the content and quality justified it. Like many, my funds are not limitless but i'm willing to save for just the right lens. I will need something to begin with though.

Thank you in advance.
Kris

01-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I here that there is a very good rebate/discount on a K10D and kit lens purchase (18-55 or 50-200mm) from Beach Camera (google that name) that ends in 1 or 2 days in the USA.

Welcome to the forums and Pentax.

As for lens choices there are a number of excellent models to consider. I'll suggest a few.

Zooms:
Pentax 18-55mm Kit zoom (very good lens for the money)
Pentax 10-17mm fisheye
Pentax 12-24 wide
Pentax 16-45mm
Pentax DA*50-135mm
Pentax 50-200mm (also very good kit lens for the money)

Primes:
FA 50mm f1.4 great low light performer and very sharp
DA 40 &70mm Limited primes

That's just a few lens you should consider to begin with. many others will offer suggestions on some great favourite lenses.

You can check reviews of each here:

Pentax Lens Review Database - Main Index

and here (with 3rd party lenses as well):

Welcome to Photozone!

and here:

Brief Comments
01-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Kris. You'll get a pretty wide range of answers to a "loaded" question. I'll throw in my 2 cents. You're interested in low light/no flash indoor portraits. Although the Kit lens is a great addition for everyday, you'll likely be able to afford a great lens by looking for one of the older M42 thread or K mount 50mm f1.4 or f1.7. Although these are manual focus, and aperture adjustments, they work beautifully with the K10D. That's how I started, using lenses I've had in my Pentax bag for decade(s I won't say how many). But I did get the Sigma 17-70 and love it. BTW, LBA (lens buying addiction) is very common here. Have Fun!
01-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
baw

Hi Kris, welcome.

I'd get the camera with kitlens. For the money you can't go wrong.
Even DPReview admits it's (one of) the best kitlenses around.
Gives you the opportunity to experience all things you need to play with.
eg. Auto focus behaviour, Focus shift etc.
Then you can decide if you want that feature in other lenses

01-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's the reviews that baw refers to. The 18-55mm kit is a very good place to start.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/165727-post1.html
01-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I came from a Canon S2 IS (P&S) I LOVE my Pentax K10D - for the money and features It's definitely the best camera. The Kit Lens is not bad for the money, I bought mine on black Friday from RITZ Camera I got a "free" Quantaray 70-300mm zoom, can't complain for it being free. I'm definitely going to be adding some lenses soon.