Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #1

Happy New Pentax User

Greetings,

My name is Keith Hatfull and I like in Woodbury, MN with lovely wife and three usually lovely kids By trade Iím a computer network consultant and I work for smaller companies who donít have a need for full-time staff. Iím basically, helpdesk, network admin, purchasing, etcÖwhatever needs to be done from a technology standpoint.

I find my way here for a few reasons:
  1. I decided to leave Olympus 4/3 (and of course did so right before it was announced the E-5 was in fact going to have a replacementÖ)
  2. I shoot mostly macro so APS-C is the largest sensor I really want to deal with, just for the EFL increase. In deciding where to do the K-5 won outÖDR, ISO, everything about the K-5 told me it was ďthe oneĒ. Nor do I think there should be any more than 16MP on an APS-C sensor...but that's just me.
  3. I VERY much appreciate, and never previously understood fully, how much Pentax has supported their film/manual users in the digital world. While I donít seem myself using M-lenses regularly (ok, so Iím a wimp and donít want to deal with stop down metering ) Iím certainly fine with manual focus and plan to check out the wide array of fine A primes available.
Point three above actually means a lot. Not only did Pentax do everything possible to fully integrate their film users the K mount opens up just an astonishingly wide array of options when it comes to lenses. Iím finding it quite exciting.

In addition to coming from Olympus, prior to that I was a Canon user: original Digital Rebel, 20D, 30D, 5DÖthe 5D is what went when I moved to Olympus.

My initial planned kit is as follows:

K-5 (received today!)
Tamron 17-50/2.8 (in transit)
Tamron 90/2.8 (hopefully VERY soon).
Tamron 70-200/2.8 (hopefully soon as well)

Iíve always been a big fan of Tamron, especially the macro lenses. I was disappointed to find that the 180 macro wasnít available in Pentax mount but the 70-200 with itís 1:3 magnification will fill in nicely for my larger bug shots, dragonflies and damselflies. Iíve previously had a Tamron 24-135, 28-75, 90 macro (three flavors), and the 180 macro. All fine, fine lenses.

I would imagine Iíll dip my toes into the Pentax lenses straight away. Iím actually also looking for an A28/2.8 to do a specific project with.

Anyway, thatís me.

And for marketplace purposes, you can find feedback on me at eBay (khatfull) and at fredmiranda.com (khatfull as well).

Thanks for the warm welcome thus far.

08-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums if i didn't say it in the lens thread
08-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks.

Happier now too, won the Tamron 90 I was sniping. One lens left (for now) yay!