Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New guy checking in

Howdy

New to the forum obviously... I have been a Pentax guy for many, many years. At one time (back in the celluloid days) I was what some folks referred to as a Darkroom Photographer.
Long story short, I saw the world of the digital imaging coming up quick back in the 80’s, so I called it quits for a while… Retired my darkroom equipment and cameras to the memorabilia cabinet, and waited for the digital world and computers to come of age.

I have been using a few Pentax Point & Shoots in the interim however. My favorite has been, and probably always will be, my little Optio S. For a little guy, it sure takes some nice shots, and talk about a convenient size. I also have a Pentax X70 that my daughter bought me for X-Mas one year… it has been my work horse since day one. It’s seen a lot of use & abuse, but it’s still performing like new.

I recently mentioned the idea of possibly picking up a DSLR and getting back into the swing of things again. With that, my wife & daughter went out and bought me a Nikon D3100 DSLR kit from a local shop. Never cared much for Nikon way back when, and having experimented with this new Nikon DSLR, my opinion hasn't changed much… Big Name, Big Price, picture quality not so big. I couldn't sell this thing fast enough! My Pentax point & shoots took better pic’s in side by side comparisons. I sent samples of the test results to Nikon, but they had nothing to offer, it is what it is. I sold the Nikon system immediately, and picked up the new K-30 (White) with the optional 18-55 WR lens. I also picked up a Sigma 10-20mm, and the Sigma EF-610 DG Super flash to go with it. I haven’t had the opportunity to test everything out completely yet, but so far I like what I’m seeing. The Nikon was a Joke compared to the K-30. My daughter can’t believe the difference in the image quality.
I do have to figure out this Movie thing however… it's all new to me, but that’s for another post eh.

Looking forward to meeting you all, and learning some new things!
Mike

Last edited by Fastback67; 08-23-2012 at 07:11 AM.
08-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Mike, good to have you on board. And thank you for that interesting introduction.
08-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool.
Got some nice old lenses in that nostalgia cabinet? I've even been impressed with a 50mm f/2 kit lens, the colors are just...right.
You'll have fun - Pentax is made for technical photographers.
« New DSLR user! | Hi »