Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #1

Hello from Vancouver BC

I just bought the K-30 three weeks ago and I am loving it. I'm hoping to get involed in these forums soon (when I find the time).

09-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Forum Member

Welcome Rich733.

You will find this forum a valuable resource. Enjoy your Pentax
09-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #3

Hello from Texas: 300 dpi vs 72 dpi

While I don't own a Pentax but hope to soon, I do want to add some information about the 300 dpi controversy in regards to printing. It seems many camera companies are not addressing our real concerns here, at least from a different perspective in regards to printing PROFESSIONALLY, not on home printers. (I will also post this on the 3oo dpi thread which is how I came to your site).

Nearly every site talks about how it's the size of the file and not whether it's 72 dpi or 300 dpi. Well, you're right in one way but wrong in another. I have talked to many on-line companies and printing companies that do professional printing. They REQUIRE 300 dpi files and they require that images be shot in 300 dpi or more. The reason I'm told is that there are some technical differences that have to do with "fields" when printing 72 dpi vs a higher res like 300 dpi. In other words, a large file shot at 72 dpi will not print as well as a large file shot at 300 dpi. The quality is better printing from a picture shot at 300 dpi than one shot at 72 dpi. For all those posters and art prints you see in stores for sale, they were all shot at 300 dpi or better.
09-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A bit of misunderstanding there, TX500. dpi is meaningless. That would mean that my K10D cannot produce a print larger than (2,592/300 = 8.64") by (3,782/300 = 12.91") which is patently ridiculous. Send a (properly exposed and in focus) 3872x2592 jpeg to MPix, for example, and they will tell you that max print size is 24"x36". I have two 16x24 gallery wraps on my wall right now (printed at 19x27 for the wrap) and they are clear and crisp, as was the 20x30 I printed for a client. I would not deal with a print shop that said such a ridiculous statement. To prove it, all you need to do is export a full size jpeg from Lightroom at 72 dpi and the same shot with it set at 300 dpi and take them to the print shop and see if they will print the 72 dpi LABELLED jpeg. There is absolutely no difference except that the EXIF will show two different dpi figures for the same exact jpeg, pixel by pixel. The dpi figure in export has no effect on your export unless the export is made in inches rather than pixels.

09-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #5

For professional printing, which means all the images in Sports Illustrated, including the advertisements, Vanity Fair, Time, Architectural Digest, whatever magazine comes to your mind, all those images were printed at 300 dpi. It is the standard of professional printing. I have researched this thoroughly as I am a professional artist and photographer. No magazine will accept an artist's or photograhers files if they are lower than 300 dpi. All the ads created by advertising agencies are all done at 300 dpi, no exceptions. Again, professional printing is different than consumer printing. You can go to google yourself if you want technical details. Put in something like "Why do printers use 300 dpi?". Below is an excerpt from an explanation of 300 dpi and this is the site:
How Image Resolution Affects Print Quality - Photoshop Tutorial
So how high of a resolution value do you need for professional quality printing? The generally accepted value is 300 pixels/inch. Printing an image at a resolution of 300 pixels/inch squeezes the pixels in close enough together to keep everything looking sharp. In fact, 300 is usually a bit more than you need. You can often get by with a resolution of 240 pixels/inch without noticing any loss of image quality. The professional standard, though, is 300 pixels/inch.

There is much more technical info on the internet if you will ask it in terms of "Why print at 300 dpi and not 72 dpi?"

It does take a lot of digging to sort all this out!

Gail
09-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gail, a 9x12 magazine cover is only 9.27 mpx at 300 dpi. What's your point?
09-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #7

The point is strictly a heads up: If you, or anyone else reading this, anticipate using your photos in any professional way as in posters being sold nationally, limited edition prints, art for a magazine, graphic use,, then you want to make sure your original picture was done in 300 dpi or it will be rejected. Not my rules, those are the technical requirements of that industry!