Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
My DECISION is almost made -

Hello all.

Longtime photographer here. Used to do studio work but got burned out on that. Now work in an office and annoy my colleagues with my passion for photography. Have owned and still do own a Minolta X700. Same with a HP945 digitial camera (non DSLR). Just took the HP in for repairs and cleaning. It was almost at the end of the 2 year warranty and want to see what they can or will do for me.

But now its time to make the move up to a DSLR or back to SLR. Been doing my research as I am sure everyone here has done. I liked what Nikon and Canon had to offer. But that was until I started reading about Pentax K10D. I have yet to actually hold one in my hand and have had to settle for reading all about it.

From what I have read about the dust removal, the weatherproofing and the Shake Reduction among other features the K10D may be the one for me.

However, I am new to DSLR's so I do have a few questions.

Do you only view and compose through the view finder? Then review on the LCD screen? It bugged me like crazry when I first got my HP that I could do everything on the LCD screen, but now have gotten used to it. Can you select the way you want to view and compose?

What is the lag time for the K10D? Again the HP had the most annoying lag between when you depressed the shutter release and when the shot was actually captured. Is the lag gone due to the fact the K10D is an SLR? I know what the specs say but is there any noticable lag?

Is the button placement and menu ergonomic?

The K10D compares very favorably against my other choices and I cant seem to find any negatives (at least according to my personal tastes). Is there anything I should be aware of? Does anyone know of any feature that they wish they could change or that another manufacturer does better? Basically I dont want to spend the money on this camera and THEN find out there was something I should have been aware of. There has to be something less than perfect on this camera, right? Because I haven't seen it yet.

Thanks for any answers or advice you can provide.

Last edited by THAN THE SWORD; 01-03-2007 at 07:35 PM.
01-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums!

Just FYI, I'm a K100D owner but I hope my experiences with my camera can help you with your decisions.

I am moving off a P&S (FujiFilm FinePix 2800Z). Just got my camera on Dec. 14th. Shutter lag compared to my old Fuji is 99% non-existent. The only 1% I noticed was in poor lighting when I did not have my AF focus locked (and at that time I knew I should have been using MF, hindsight better than foresight). The grip and size of the camera is just right for my average sized hands, all the controls are in very convenient spots. I don't find myself hitting buttons accidentally.

Like all SLR's you have to view and compose through the viewfinder. The only notable exceptions would be the Olympus E-330 and the Panasonic DMC-L1.

Imperfections? WB could have been handled a little better, but I see a lot of D-SLR users from all respective makes posting their complaints in other forums so I'm assuming this is normal. I wish that there was a quicker method (Fn button?) for changing the AF from continuous to single (I believe the K10 has it already on the switch, but K100 users have to fiddle through a menu to get to it). These niggles I consider to myself as extremely minor and I'm getting used to them.

My decision to go K100D over K10D was my budget. I knew I was investing into a system, so I left room in my budget for an extra flash or lens. I don't know what to buy yet since the used lens selection is tremendous and I felt like a kid in the candy store again.

Why Pentax, not Canon or Nikon? Please take a look at my post in the welcome threads.

Hope this helps and again, welcome!
01-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Grab yourself a copy of the manual for any dSLR you might be considering. And while grabbing, get spec sheets either from the manufacturor or someplace like DPReview.

Sit in a queit place and compare features-it's illuminating! You will find these things: they have slightly different control layouts, they have different focus engines, they have slightly different RAW to XXXX converters; RAW outputs are proprietary. Pentax has forward thinking extras; most everyone else has extras that engage P&S type functions in metering/exposure. They all look and behave like a very high-end prosumer SLR of the (now past) film era.
01-01-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THAN THE SWORD Quote
Hello all.
Hi

QuoteQuote:
Do you only view and compose through the view finder? Then review on the LCD screen?
There is no live preview on the LCD, it works like your older SLRs in that the shutter is closed (hiding the sensor) until you take your shot.. The only DSLR with live preview is the Oly E330 (ohh and the panasonic whatsitcalled)...

QuoteQuote:
What is the lag time for the K10D?
Umm shutter lag once it has focused? the same as my film cameras, too small for me to measure

QuoteQuote:
For me yes, very much so, but everyone has different preferences I guess..

QuoteQuote:
The K10D compares very favorably against my other choices and I cant seem to find any negatives (at least according to my personal tastes). Is there anything I should be aware of? Does anyone know of any feature that they wish they could change or that another manufacturer does better?
I wish Sigma would release their 150mm Macro in Pentax mount ;-o

01-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ohh I thought of something I really don't like about the K10d (though same problem with all Pentax DSLR)....

Its the included Pentax Lab RAW processing software, its a pain to use.. I find Bibble Lite (Bibble Labs - Professional Photo Workflow Software) MUCH quicker and easier to use...
01-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THAN THE SWORD Quote
Hello all.

However, I am new to DSLR's so I do have a few questions.

Do you only view and compose through the view finder? Then review on the LCD screen? It bugged me like crazry when I first got my HP that I could do everything on the LCD screen, but now have gotten used to it. Can you select the way you want to view and compose?
it's old school...look through the viewfinder to compose the shot, no option via lcd (tho it does have a digital preview..hit the DOF preview, and it will take a quick shot w/o saving, to show you u a preview of the shot...allows for WB adjustment, etc, etc)
so far my family and friends when they look and play w/ my k10, the all ask..."wheres the button to view in the lcd?" i just shake my head..and take my camera back...LoL

QuoteQuote:
What is the lag time for the K10D? Again the HP had the most annoying lag between when you depressed the shutter release and when the shot was actually captured. Is the lag gone due to the fact the K10D is an SLR? I know what the specs say but is there any noticable lag?
soon as u focus, it will release the shutter. too fast for anyone (of us in here) to really measure....I dont think any of us has missed a shot we wanted to take w/ it, due to shutter lag...(k10d owners or any other pentax dslr )

QuoteQuote:
why i still stuck w/ pentax was due to the ergonomics of the camera...
very easy to get used to and very easy on the hands (IMO)

QuoteQuote:
The K10D compares very favorably against my other choices and I cant seem to find any negatives (at least according to my personal tastes). Is there anything I should be aware of? Does anyone know of any feature that they wish they could change or that another manufacturer does better? Basically I dont want to spend the money on this camera and THEN find out there was something I should have been aware of? There has to be something less than perfect on this camera, right? Because I haven't seen it yet.
certain lens availability...since the other 2 are way more popular...it's hard to find certain lenses in stock.....

AF may hunt in low light situations...(only rated at 0-EV, but only Nikons really have a better low light AF sensitivity ) but..thats really in the extreme situation..(i've been a pentax user, and i've been used to it for quite some time)

for my personal tastes..it is perfect...from the control lay out, to it's feel, to the way the shutter release sounds...i dont think i've ever had this much fun w/ a single purchase ever
01-01-2007, 11:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
Ohh I thought of something I really don't like about the K10d (though same problem with all Pentax DSLR)....

Its the included Pentax Lab RAW processing software, its a pain to use.. I find Bibble Lite (Bibble Labs - Professional Photo Workflow Software) MUCH quicker and easier to use...
I didn't really think about that. Yes. The Pentax software is quite a bit lacking. Canon's is a bit rough too and with Nikon you have to pay extra for the decent converter package. I think one of the threads in here introduced me to Bibble and I must say, wow! Like night and day.
01-02-2007, 07:10 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks to all who responded.

Have not not any experence with shooting or editing RAW images. I do have Corel Paint Shop Pro X (bought it just before XI came out). It seems to support RAW conversion. I have had great success editing with that but am looking forward to having more control.

Does anyone have an opinion about lenses? What is the quality of the ones that come in the kits? I found a kit on an EBAY store that had 2 Tamron lenses, a battery grip and a flash. Is Tamron Pentax worthy? I know I want more than 1 lens and will wait for the second if I have to. But I want to get the best I can from the start. I want what used to be called a normal lens (50MM) and a zoom (upwards of 250 to 300 mm). What is the used market like for Pentax?

It seems the more I look the more questions I have.

Again, thanks for the great word of advise.

PS - Haven't looked very hard, but what is LBA?

01-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Lenses: It really depends on your person requirements, everyone will have different opinions based on their personal needs and budget...

As for a fast normal lens.. The Pentax FA50/1.4 makes a great portrait lens as it gives the FOV of a 75mm lens on DSLR (times Focal length by 1.5).. But if you want a prime with the FOV of around what 50mm gave you on your film SLR, I would recommend the Pentax FA35/2.. I did a quick review of it linked below

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-equipment-reviews/1956-smc-pentax-...m-f2-0-al.html

For the long zoom,
- what price range?
- what apeture (constant 2.8, constant 4 or 4-5.6)

For the wide to normal kit lens it depends if you want constant 2.8 or not? if you want the best without shelling out for constant f2.8, I would recommend the Pentax DA 16-45 f4 or the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4

LBA = lens buying addiction
01-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

yeah..lenses are more of a personal taste like what Joele said.

I used to buy lenses out want, and not need, but now, it's more of what type of photos I enjoy taking..so my LBA will be towards faster lenses (primes, portraits)..and less on the zooms

the kit lens (18-55 DA) is a very capable lens. some say it's one of the best kit lenses you can get w/ any system. I've been happy w/ it.....it takes sharp photos.....
01-02-2007, 10:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have the 18-55mm and I like the "feel" (for lack of a better term...perhaps build quality is better?) of it over the comparable Canon and Nikon kit lenses. Or it could be the fact that there is a focus ring with distance markings on it? Not knocking the other lenses' image quality - I find they are just as good.

Paint Shop Pro (when it was owned by Jasc) was a great piece of software. I haven't used it since but I'm sure it's even better now.

Tamron and Sigma and several other brands that I fail to mention all seem to be worthy to use on a Pentax. Just make sure the lenses are what you want and suits your needs. Me, I went with the just the 18-55mm because I knew there was a whole slew of lenses, new and used, to choose from - I can't pick just one yet (although my wife did, read on).

If you are looking for a budget zoom, I'm talking with some guys in a thread going right now about the 70-300mm budget lenses here.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/1799-70-300mm-...omparison.html

A couple of the guys were kind enough to post samples for me, but I'm still on the fence feeding my own LBA (Lens Buying Addiction). Whatever - I'll choose it soon, but I know I will have to leave room in my budget in order to get the 10-17mm Fisheye before April (my financier said so).

Have fun looking around. Take a look at the posted pics in the galleries and you'll know what to expect from these great cameras!

P.S. Apologies for my short story

Last edited by Alvin; 01-02-2007 at 10:21 PM. Reason: My bad grammar - and late hour
01-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:

I know I will have to leave room in my budget in order to get the 10-17mm Fisheye before April (my financier said so).

You should remind your financier that you can never go too wide, and you can save $100 for another 6 days only.

QuoteQuote:
...wish that there was a quicker method (Fn button?) for changing the AF from continuous to single (I believe the K10 has it already on the switch, but K100 users have to fiddle through a menu to get to it).
If you use the fast action scene auto mode that will change to AF continuous. Switch to "auto auto" and you'll be back to single AF. That assumes that you want to shoot in an auto mode :-)

I clunk around in Photo Laboratory. Can't complain much. May try Bibble, though unlikely to plunk down $70.

Last edited by SpecialK; 01-03-2007 at 12:03 PM.