Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 03:25 AM   #1

new guy from Canberra

Hi to all my new Pentax friends. I retired a few years back and took up photography as a pastime to keep me creative and interested in something other than golf. Its also really great to find a new community where everyone contributes so much.

My main camera is a Samsung GX20, bought because the local dealer did not have a Pentax K20D in stock and I wanted to walk out with a new toy. (oh yeah, and it was $300 cheaper, although with my severance pay in hand that wasn't really an issue). I immediately loved the solid build and the feel in my (large) hands compared to the comparatively flimsy and plasticy Nikons and Canons. Like a lot of new guys I just used the kit lens, (which is Schneider on the Samsung), and a DAL 50-200 but I've since stepped up to a DA 16-45 and (just yesterday) a DA* 50 - 135. I've been blown away by the difference in iq and the new opportunities that lie ahead. I travel a fair bit and can't wait for my trips to Tasmania and Lombok in the next few months.

My other camera is a Ricoh GRD3, which I bought for street shots and low light interior portraits. It does a fantastic job for both and although I agonised over it, I don't miss having a zoom lens at all. There are so many features on these little cameras and the build (like the GX20) is so solid.

So, I'm looking forward to talking to you all and spreading the love.

cheers,
Dave

09-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Aboard! Glad you're here.
09-19-2012, 03:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There are a few current (and ex) Canberrans here...

Welcome aboard.
12-24-2012, 02:56 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BlueBone Quote
Hi to all my new Pentax friends. I retired a few years back and took up photography as a pastime to keep me creative and interested in something other than golf. Its also really great to find a new community where everyone contributes so much.

My main camera is a Samsung GX20, bought because the local dealer did not have a Pentax K20D in stock and I wanted to walk out with a new toy. (oh yeah, and it was $300 cheaper, although with my severance pay in hand that wasn't really an issue). I immediately loved the solid build and the feel in my (large) hands compared to the comparatively flimsy and plasticy Nikons and Canons. Like a lot of new guys I just used the kit lens, (which is Schneider on the Samsung), and a DAL 50-200 but I've since stepped up to a DA 16-45 and (just yesterday) a DA* 50 - 135. I've been blown away by the difference in iq and the new opportunities that lie ahead. I travel a fair bit and can't wait for my trips to Tasmania and Lombok in the next few months.

My other camera is a Ricoh GRD3, which I bought for street shots and low light interior portraits. It does a fantastic job for both and although I agonised over it, I don't miss having a zoom lens at all. There are so many features on these little cameras and the build (like the GX20) is so solid.

So, I'm looking forward to talking to you all and spreading the love.

cheers,
Dave
G'day Dave and welcome - I've just joined too - good to see there are others from Canberra.

Craig

12-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to have you here Dave, yet another Aussie member joining us. Enjoy the forum and look forward to your contributions here.
12-26-2012, 03:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome mate. Great bunch peeps here.

Aussies - we're slowing taking over *insert evil laugh here*