Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Hello from Youngsville, NC, USA!

Hi,
I just got my camera last night.
A Pentax *ist DS. It arrived quickly from ebay. The previous owner obviously had
CDO (that is OCD but in alphabetical order LOL). Everything was packaged in the original
plastic wrap and little ties. Not a scratch on it. Not even a fingerprint. I believe he stored it
in the box like that and only used it a couple of times (evidence of wear on the flap of the box)

Absolutely perfect.

I am not sure how much it was new but I paid under $200 and looking at it it is actually one of the
nicest things I have ever owned.

So the story is that for the past 7 years my wife has been getting these family photos.
Until this past year she was spending well over $1000 a year actually maybe $1500 I think but
she was hiding how much it was costing. But this year she had to admit to a budget for them,
and make some different arrangements.

So we got a new photographer for my daughter's two year old birthday photos, and combined family
photos that we give for Christmas presents. It was obvious that this person was a beginner with
and expensive camera and a dream (sure, it was 1/4 the normal price, with introductory coupon)

I believe I could have done as good, or better, with my canon SD600.
(VERY VERY VERY disappointed in how the photos came out)

So, I have decided to never let this happen again.
I will take the photos myself from here on out. Granted, with a little baby, I probably needed a better camera
anyway. Because the point and shoot the action shot the glamour shot is always missed because it clicks too slowly.

I also plan to make these calendars each year and I will use this camera mostly for that.

I discovered the Pentax as the "sleeper" if you will simply by reading reviews. Everyone's review
compared it to the canon and the nikon and said the build quality was so much better. I was also able
to purchase it used, but in new condition, at a fraction of the cost, which was important to me.

It is my hope to become an excellent amateur photographer but not a professional one.

09-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome!
09-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome and there are many ways and technics you can learn to make wonderful family portraits yourself. I.e. natural window light is your free friend.