Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Ricoh GXR user, hello from Vancouver BC

Hello folks, checking in here to learn more about Pentax DSLR offerings and maybe enable some cross pollination of information between Pentax and Ricoh system users.

Mike
Vancouver BC

09-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hey
I`m new here as well and great to see interest from Ricoh users about Pentax system. I was thinking some time ago about Ricoh module system GXR so great to have somebody to ask about it.
09-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Welcome Tandem! I`m also from the Vancouver area. I have recently been looking into the Ricoh GXR quite a bit. I love the idea of using some all manual M mount lenses on it as a compact and light alternative to the K7 DSLR. What kind of lenses do you use with it and how have you found it to be as a regular everyday use camera?
09-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That would be interesting, the GXR is a very interesting and unique camera.

Which modules do you've?

09-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks folks for the welcome, sorry it's been awhile since I checked in last.

For the past year I've been shooting the GXR system with only the Mount A12 (M mount) module as my primary camera system. I use a selection of Zeiss M mount lenses ranging from 18 through 50mm and one CV 75mm f/2.5 medium telephoto which gets effectively a little longer due to the 1.5X crop sensor.

As far as compact cameras I've found the Ricoh has about the best photographer-centric handling and menu system of any I've used. Prior to adopting the GXR I used the Fujifilm X100 extensively, and spent a couple months with the Sony NEX-5N.

In addition to handling well, the GXR Mount A16 was purpose built for M lenses, and, importantly, has no anti-alias filter. M glass really shines on this camera in ways that adapted M lenses on the NEX - while often terrific - can't quite meet.

The camera isn't perfect but it is close. Modernizing the sensor and updating the viewfinder are two frequently asked for updates from GXR users. Shot to shot time could be improved as could shot buffering.

Here's a snapshot of Vancouver ... had to run to catch this and run back to my double parked vehicle. Shot on the GXR with Zeiss ZM18mm (effectively 28mm field of view).

I'm happy to answer any questions about the GXR system you may have.
09-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! You may well be one of the first, if not the first, Ricoh-only use to join up!

And that's wonderful, and perfect timing, I must say, because we've just added a Ricoh GXR forum, and Ricoh camera databases (still under construction) to the site. Now that Pentax and Ricoh's imaging divisions have been fused, our homepage posts will focus on news from both brands, and I plan on setting up a external domain with information about Ricoh cameras as well.

I hope you enjoy your stay! I got the chance to play with the GXR at Photokina, and I really liked the body. I'm surprised it got worse reviews than the K-01 on DPR...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Hi again Tandem,

Wonderful shot of Vancouver there! My interest over the past month or two in the GXR has ended up with me purchasing one with the M-mount. I'll be comparing my experience with it to my K7 + kit over the next few weeks, and i'm looking forward to seeing how much lighter and compact the GXR kit will feel, not to mention comparisons in their IQ (which is after all, matter a lot).

If you wouldn't mind answering a couple questions, what manual focus mode do you find the best? And do you find you can focus most of the lenses when wide open (say f1.4/f2/f2.8)? I have read in a couple places on the internet, that it's obviously the most challenging to focus manually with the aperture wide open.

Thanks again for your reply,

09-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Adam - that's a great idea, expanding the coverage of the site. I look forward to participating on an on-going basis... will have to drag some other Ricoh users over here.

Ryan - generally I focus with the lenses opened up to their max aperture or within a stop or two or three. Personally I like Mode 2 which we sometimes call "predator mode" after the movie Predator, but once in awhile I switch back to Mode 1 as (am right now) to see how it works for me. Apparently as of revision 1.50 of the firmware (you should update your camera if it isn't already at that rev level) Mode 1 is a little stronger but I can't yet tell.

Once nice thing about the cameras is you can set it up such that a half press of the shutter disables both Focus Assist and Magnification temporarily, returning you to a clear finder view.