Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello from Montreal's North shore, Canada

Hello everybody,

I'm a French-Canadian, meaning that my first language is French, born in the French speaking Province of Quebec. I've lived in 4 other Provinces in Canada: Nova-Scotia, New-Brunswick, Ontario, British-Colombia. Because of the nature of my work, I've driven across Canada, from Nova-Scotia to British-Colombia, and all the U.S. states east of the Mississippi river, except Florida.

I started in Photography when I received a 110 camera as a young teenager. The problem of finding money to purchase and process the cartridges slowed down my enthusiasm, since access to money at the time was nil.

A few years later, when I joined the Army at the age of 17 ( stayed 5 years ), I bought a brand new Pentax KX ( Fall of 1976 ). Now I had the means to pay for my hobby. I've loved that camera to the day I broke it by accident. I had it screwed to a monopod with a 80-200 f4 zoom attached to it while carrying the whole thing on my shoulder. Luckily I had the strap around my neck so the camera and lens didn't fall to the ground but the base plate stayed on the monopod ( 1997 ).

For a little while after that, I was using my brother's Ricoh camera, which he had bought pretty much at the same time I bought my KX. Since both had K-mount, I could still use my lenses (Actually, the Ricoh was almost a clone of my KX...Note to people worried about Ricoh's experience in cameras, they've been doing it for a long time....To this day, I can't remember the model I used, but here are some pictures of some of their cameras: Ricoh KR series ). At that time I had returned to College to study Commercial photography and got influenced by Canon, with USM autofocus. Everybody else had screwdrive autofocus still. So, for a few years I was using a A2e with USM autofocus. Exposure was right on and autofocus was tack sharp and fast and "silent". I also used medium and large format cameras and did my own darkroom processes.

That was at the time that Kodak was making a 1.3Mpix Monochrome camera selling for $40000.00 USD. They were modifying Canon and Nikon bodies then. But from that time on, I wanted to go digital. I was scanning negatives in the meantime.

When DSLRs became more affordable, I jumped right in and got discouraged very fast. For the longest time and multiple bodies later, I could not reproduce the same images that I was used to with film. It was a very long and costly learning curve. I realized that to reproduce the same tonality and depth of images I was getting from medium format film I needed to go Digital MF. Options were out of reach ( Hassy, Phase, Mamyia ) until the Pentax 645D came up.

So, I found this Forum searching for information on the 645D when it was first announced....I've been following the medium format and news threads ever since... and got to know quite a few of you guys....although you don't know me yet past what I wrote here...

Looking forward to inter-action in the threads...since there are tons of helpful knowledge and experience here ( especially a few select members that draw my attention in most threads they post in) .

Thank you for all the help and information that you guys gave me without knowing...

Last edited by Light-in-Focus; 09-21-2012 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Forgot to put URL and link
09-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF. I started out on a 110 myself.
09-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hello and welcome.
09-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you both

Looking forward to meet you guys in the threads....