Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

Ohayo from Tokyo !

Hello all,

Paul from Tokyo. Just registered. The requisite background for those interested. Been living in Japan for most of my adult life, but originally from England. First interest in cameras a long time ago when I saved up for a ( used ) Olympus OM-10. What a great camera. So much better than the Hanimex 110-format things I had used up until that point

First digital camera was a Sony DSC F3, around 1998, with an exciting 640x480 resolution and 15 minute battery life. It was so novel, I really would be stopped by people in the street "for a look". That one gave way to a few more Cybershots, all good, and eventually a Nikon D40.

The Nikon served very well indeed, right up until this year. Browsing some online fora ( always a bad idea for the health of one's wallet ) I was seduced by the u4/3 promise of great images, interchangeable lenses, and compact size. A Panasonic GF1 followed, and my D40 was traded. The GF1 was good, very good, but I had problems with the handling. I kept pressing buttons on the back by mistake. A GF3 came and went. An Olympus EPL2 came and went. It wasn't working. I ended up with a Fuji X100. Lovely. Superb images, when I didn't accidentally knock the exposure comp dial, which was often. It was a good camera, but the autofocus was a little slow to catch my kids playing. Manual focus was horrible. I looked for something else. In truth, I was still hankering after something with handling like the OM-10.

I found a mint, boxed, used Pentax K7 at my camera shop. It was about $400, including a kit lens. Traded the X100. Bought the Pentax screw-mount adapter ( another $50 ) and then had a great time picking up old, beautiful, perfect, Takumar lenses from second-hand shops. I currently own a 55mm/1.8 ( one of the radioactive ones ), a 135mm/3.5 and a 200mm/4. None cost more than $80. I haven't yet used the kit lenses for a single shot.

One from the 135mm, taken a few days ago on the beach at Tokyo Bay. In-body stabilisation is very useful with these old lenses

Paul

09-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a great introduction, and how you followed the path of righteousness to arrive at Pentax and Tacumar lenses no less. You will succeed in your photographic endeavours from now on. :-)
09-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
gtl
Veteran Member

Cool. Tokyo must be a wonderland for camera shopping. Where did you pick up pristine 2nd hand takumars btw?
09-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm welcome !

Takumar lenses are VERY easy to find here in Tokyo. The two camera shops within walking distance of my house that have used lenses both have a good selection. I was at another shop a couple of days ago, and they too had a fine collection. I was looking at two 50/1.4 lenses, wondering if it was worth getting one in addition to my 55/1.8. Hard to know how to improve on that lens ! I was using it this morning. Here's a quick one, straight from the camera :

Paul

Last edited by Sankon; 09-22-2012 at 07:15 PM.
09-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, don't make lens buying sound so easy, we'll all start sending you shopping lists.
09-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
It's an Aladdin's Cave ! I can't believe a.) how good these lenses are b.) how reasonably priced and most of all c.) how I can still use them today, 50 years after they were made. I picked up a boxed 2x telecon and a boxed, original case and instructions included, set of Pentax extension tubes this week. In both cases, the one shop had a choice of three :-) There were probably at least 100 M42 lenses on it's shelves. One shop !

Very happy. If Pentax ever makes a full frame DSLR, I can still use these too. Amazing.

Paul
10-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Sankon Quote
It's an Aladdin's Cave ! I can't believe a.) how good these lenses are b.) how reasonably priced and most of all c.) how I can still use them today, 50 years after they were made. I picked up a boxed 2x telecon and a boxed, original case and instructions included, set of Pentax extension tubes this week. In both cases, the one shop had a choice of three :-) There were probably at least 100 M42 lenses on it's shelves. One shop !

Very happy. If Pentax ever makes a full frame DSLR, I can still use these too. Amazing.

Paul
If you don't mind sharing, which shop would that be? I usually go to Fujiya but I wouldn't mind checking this out too!

Grigoris
10-13-2012, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Grigoris

Shinjuku has some excellent used camera shops ( as I suspect you know ! )

Apart from the well known ones ( Lemon, Kimura, Map ) I go to two often, both of which must have over a 100 used Pentax lenses in at any time, mainly manual focus M42 and K mount.

They are : 新宿中古カメラ ( Shinjuku Used Camera ) and Camera Box. Both of these are within 25m of Map Camera. The first is one street down, towards the post office, on the second floor near a shoe shop ( ABC Mart ). Look for a yellow sign. The second is on the same street as Map Camera, on the corner close to the large road, in the basement. I got my recent haul of lenses and accessories at 新宿中古カメラ but there are plenty left !

For what it's worth I also popped into Map Camera Shinjuku today, third floor, and they have a reasonable collection of the more recent lenses. For example they had about a dozen used 40mm Limiteds.

Happy hunting !

Paul

10-13-2012, 03:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I can't believe I haven't noticed Shinjuku Used Camera before.
Been to Map many a time.
I know the post office, so have to pop down.
Purchases might have to wait cus I just spent 35,000en on a Sigma 170-500 for birding.

Fujiya Camera is my go to shop as it's just one stop away on the train.
The junk shop is often home to hidden gem.
Got most of my manual focus lenses there, and a used M100/4 macro was my best pick-up.
10-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
You are in for a treat. If you go to Shinjuku Used Camera, dont neglect the second display, closer to the door, of third party M42 lenses. It's actually bigger than the display at the opposite end of the wall that houses the Pentax used lenses. A huge choice awaits.

Paul
10-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
JPT
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum, Paul.

I thought I knew all the shops in Shinjuku, but Camera Box is one I haven't noticed. I've read about Kimura a couple of times but only ever found branches of Kitamura. Is it a different shop?

The Used Camera shop has got some good stuff, but aren't the staff an unfriendly bunch? I've bought stuff from them before, so you'd think they'd be happy to see me. Personally, I like Map and Fujiya because they always seem happy to let you try out the lenses. I got a DA21 from Map last month when they had their 20 year anniversary sale. Now all I need is the time to go out and do a bit more photography!
10-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

That's quite a path to the K-7. I think you'll like the flexibility. I know I was swayed by the ability to easily use the camera in manual mode. Have fun!
10-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Welcome to the forum, Paul.

I thought I knew all the shops in Shinjuku, but Camera Box is one I haven't noticed. I've read about Kimura a couple of times but only ever found branches of Kitamura. Is it a different shop?

The Used Camera shop has got some good stuff, but aren't the staff an unfriendly bunch? I've bought stuff from them before, so you'd think they'd be happy to see me. Personally, I like Map and Fujiya because they always seem happy to let you try out the lenses. I got a DA21 from Map last month when they had their 20 year anniversary sale. Now all I need is the time to go out and do a bit more photography!
It was kitamura, sorry. Kimura is a guy at work

The staff at Shinjuku Used Camera are not exactly the sparkling boisterous types, but I've had no issue trying anything I asked to look at, with no pressure. I tried three superzooms ( a moment of weakness, but ~6000 yen for a 28-200 was appealing ... ) there last week. Spent ages testing them out, Didn't buy any of them. It was no issue though. The basement shop "Camera Box" is a bit trickier. It has so much stuff it's sort of piled up on the deep shelves, and can be a bit awkward to see all that they have without asking the staff to excavate. The staff are even older than the lenses so I sometimes feel a bit hesitant to ask them to stoop down and rummage, but again if you are polite it's no issue.

Happy hunting, shame I missed the 20 year sale at Map

Paul
10-17-2012, 05:10 AM   #14

Thanks for the tips (and apologies for the belated reply) Paul!

I knew Map and Lemon (but haven't been there for over three years now) and my wife has a friend who works at Kitamura's headquarters so I check them from time to time but I didn't know of the other two -and I will definitely check them out ASAP. I suspect my problem is that having a weekly practice in Nakano and the 体育館 being less than ten minutes from "Fujiya aley" I have became complacent...

Grigoris
10-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Welcome Paul! I just thought I would put in a plug for the Japan social group - it would be great if some of the responders here would take up these discussions in the social group! We've discussed stores for gear in Japan before, but there's some new information in this thread. I may be visiting Tokyo again at Christmas time.

Error in signature URL (I didn't get any notice of the change) - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/109-japan/

Last edited by RobG; 10-17-2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: signature error