Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2012, 04:07 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello all! New Pentax MX owner!

Hi! I have been intp photography a few years now and film photograohy for about 3 years now. I have tried a few cameras with great pleasure but now I felt that I really wanted a simple, small slr, fully mechanical that could be my everyday camera. I was choosing between Olympus OM-1n, Nikon FM2n and Pentax MX. All beautiful cameras with their roots in the 70´s so it was a hard choice. Here in Sweden the MX-models are a little bit cheaper than the other two so I decided to try one. The viewfinder is so big and bright in that little body, amazing! I got the camera in great shape, new batteries, sunshade and UV-filter + SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 lens. Everything seems to be working just fine and that feels damn good. I have been out shooting my first roll so I´m very excited to see some results in a few days! Nice to be here at this lovely forum, great reviews and information. Thank you!

09-30-2012, 05:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome Rob,
What film are you using?
09-30-2012, 05:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Welcome Rob,
What film are you using?
This first roll was a Fuji Superia 200, I don´t really like it but it can be developed really cheap here in my little town, (and I think it is the only color film my local store is selling) where I live so it is a film that I sometimes use just to check if a new camera works as it should and the lightmeter in it too...
My fave B/W film is TX400 and color used to be Kodak portra VC or Ektar.
09-30-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Welcome Rob
Good to see you made the right choice in the MX.

09-30-2012, 05:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdparker Quote
Welcome Rob
Good to see you made the right choice in the MX.

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk 2
Thank you Barry! It sure feels right!
09-30-2012, 05:39 AM   #6

Original Poster
My black beauty: Pentax MX | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
09-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome Aboard!

Hello Rob, Welcome to the Pentax Forum.
You chose a great camera, I have a black MX myself, the best and brightest viewfinder I've seen.
The M 50mm f/1.7 is a fine lens, maybe the best manual 50. I believe it's easier to focus than the M 50mm f/1.4 and it's sharper than the f/2.0.
You can find some good deals on M lenses, a 28mm or 35mm along with a 100mm would make a nice kit.
Glad you joined us!
Ron
09-30-2012, 05:52 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Rob, Welcome to the Pentax Forum.
You chose a great camera, I have a black MX myself, the best and brightest viewfinder I've seen.
The M 50mm f/1.7 is a fine lens, maybe the best manual 50. I believe it's easier to focus than the M 50mm f/1.4 and it's sharper than the f/2.0.
You can find some good deals on M lenses, a 28mm or 35mm along with a 100mm would make a nice kit.
Glad you joined us!
Ron
Thank you Ron! Nice forum you´ve got here! Nice to hear you talk so well about the MX, that makes me feel that I made the right choice! Yes, I should get a wide + short tele, I agree... I´d like to have the Pentax-K 24/2.8 and Pentax-K and 135/2.5 maybe, but first I´ll have to get to know my camera and 50mm-lens better before I move on with new lenses and accessories.

09-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, after caring deeply for your MX, it's only a short step to a full blown love affair with an LX
09-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, after caring deeply for your MX, it's only a short step to a full blown love affair with an LX
Haha! Yes, perhaps you´re right. But it needs batteries for the slower shutter speeds, ootoh it ranges from 4s to 1/2000s and that would be nice..I also know that the LX is better in hard weather and have a good film-plane TTL metering, good for bad light situations..so maybe I´ll get a LX someday, they are good-lookers! The old gentleman that I bought my MX from had a BIG Pentax collection, he had 7 MX bodies, 5 or 6 ME´s and at least 3 LX bodies..and a lot of lenses, even the 1000mm f8 on a big tri-pod! I will keep him as a close friend, need to save some money first!