Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hello from Leicester, UK.

Glad to be part of what looks like a great forum - lots of useful opinions and information regarding Pentax equipment.

I am new to Pentax and to SLR photography, so still learning the craft. I am interested in astro-photography mainly and recently picked up an old Helios 44 in a charity shop (Bargain!). Since the first few pictures taken on my Canon 550D I am very pleased with the image quality these old M42 lenses can produce compared to the much more expensive Canon lenses. Its like a gold mine waiting to be explored - very exciting.

Steve.

09-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, you maybe new to Pentax but it sounds like you are already heading down the slippery slope of LBA.
09-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
LBA?
Do the L and A stand for Lens and Aquisition? Not come across this one before.
09-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Sorry for not being clearer, If you hover the mouse over the LBA (with a little dotted line below it) in my post, a wee box should have popped up to say Lens Buying Addiction.

It really means you gonna start spending some money.

10-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #5

Original Poster
LBA indeed. I recently bought a Helios 44m-4 (which I really like), and a Jupiter 11A (hopefully in the post as we speak).

There is a similar affliction amongst electric guitarists, GAS which stands for Gear Acquisition Syndrome. This is also an expensive condition to be in.
10-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #6

Original Poster
...oh and a SMC Takumar f2 50mm....(also in the post).
10-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hello Steven,

Welcome to the forum! I was an exchange student at Leicester University for a year of my undergraduate studies...it was probably the best experience of my life. You are surrounded by so much beautiful scenery to photograph...
10-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hi.

Indeed we have some nice scenery, but I like Scotland better. I also came to Leicester to attend the University and liked the place enough to stick around. It's a shame there is so much light pollution though, astro-photography requires a nice dark location.

10-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It's funny that you mention light pollution. I grew up in a rural environment, so I was not used to light pollution. When I was in Leicester, I thought the sky was an amazing color at night, and I wished I knew how to photograph it.