Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #1

Old Pentax shooter from western WA, new to forum

Just saying "hi" (the "first post" thing).
I've been shooting Pentax since 1984. The first 15 years full manual with just a K1000, 95% with just a 50mm lens (US, Philippines, Australia, Saudi Arabia, ... it got around). I finally got a fancy automatic camera at the beginning of 2000 for a whirl-wind European trip where I knew I would not have time for careful composition. I was short on funds, so just got the entry level ZX-30 with a 28-200 super-zoom. After getting spoiled by automatic functions, I had hoped to move up to the ZX-S once it came out, but then the digital age hit the SLR. However, I vowed to not buy a DSLR until until resolution could match my Nikon film scanner. (I decided to wait until they surpassed 10MP). So I stayed where I was and finally dived into DSLR when the K20D came out, along with getting the 16-50mm DA*, and a Sigma 170-500 zoom. (still used the old manual 50mm though!, plus a off-brand 70-200 macro, though not a very good lens).
I added a couple more lenses along the way, and recently upgraded to K-5 when the price dropped.

I am primarily an enthusiast / hobbyist and have a fair number of related toys I like to experiment with (extension tube set, filters, various flashes, etc.)

Some things I would love to experiment with include tilt/shift lens (but expensive!), but the more I see that can be done with S/W the more I wonder about the future of actual photography. The skilled photoshop user taking a mediocre photo and making it look like a photo that used to take special equipment and photographic skill to produce.

Will photography as an art disappear, and just be replaced by "picture takers and image makers", referring to the ability to take a mediocre snap shot and turn it (or a series) into almost anything by the use of photo editing. (simulate more complex photography techniques, "create" your desired depth-of-field and Bokeh (even beyond what is optically possible with a lens), recompose the photo, or obtain high resolution though stacking of multiple shots, etc.) It can be impossible to tell if the photo even represents what was really there. There are of course many cool and creative things to do with software editing, but I sure hope the art of the initial image capture remains.

Well, that's it for now!

10-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum!
10-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! What took you so long to get here? Will the art of photography remain? It will as long as you and others continue to practice that art. Don't be shy. Jump into the many conversations taking place on this site.