Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2012, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A long hello from London

Hi from London,

After reading and enjoying PF, I’ve decided to joinin. With a very long “hello".
I’ve owned Pentax cameras and lenses for over 30 years, having inherited a Spotmatic and three brand new Asahi Opt Co. Takumar lenses. Over the past few years I’ve been using them plus other new and old lenses with much joy on a K20D. I have young children who move around fast, and play with red cricket balls here in London, so I’m yet another Pentaxuser wondering seriously where to go next...but not right now, and never in exchange for my Pentax gear. Here are some of the reasons why.
Thewonderful Pentax colors
I’ve loved the colors ever since my first roll of film was developed. I look back at those photos and still marvel at their color quality. The first lens I used was the Super Takumar 24mm 3.5. It gave such vibrant results on film, unfortunately not to be repeated on the digital K20D. I think I know why technically…but that’s another question.
The Takumar55mm 1.8 - a very sharp lens
To me sharpness often = best focused. There is only one Pentax prime lens I own that is not particularly sharp at most stops even when the focus is spot on, and that’s the M28mm 2.8. My definition of a sharp lens is the SMC Takumar 55mm 1.8,it’s amazing. For some reason it out performs my Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 55mm and SMC Pentax 55mm, but all three versions are gorgeously engineered, high quality lenses, a pleasure to use. My latest SMC Takumar 55mm cost me all of $45 this year. And cropped, its around a 85mm, what value! How sad it is to see the new plastic mounted Pentax 50mm 1.8, and Pentax’s self-defeating lens pricing policies.
Swirling bokeh – I’m 15 again
If you're surfing the net too much, re-reading camera and lens reviews: spend $15-$20 on a Helios 44-2. Trying to achieve the swirly bokeh effect is testing my camera skills to the limit and I’m rushing home to look at the results on the computer, just like I used to rush to the shop to pick up my developed prints. I feel like I am 15 years old again!! I bet using a FF camera wouldn't even get me rushing home like this, but I do often wonder whether my FF compatible lenses would perform better on FF...especially the 24mm, or are some lenses less suitable full-stop to digital?
Is this the best allround Pentax prime lens?
For many years, like many others, I’ve been looking for the perfect walk-around prime lens. I’ve spent a lot of time and money on the search. Happily I’ve found the lens of my dreams. The K-series 28mm f3.5. A fantastic lens. It works great on a digital cropped sensor, not just film. I love its size, weight, feel, (not being a total convert to pancakes), color, resolution,clarity, distortion free, etc etc etc. The perfect all round lens, forme at least, and I wonder what others think of that choice?

Anyway, I hope to contribute my views to your debates on occasions,especially if Pentax’s new parents are in listening mode!

With kind regards

Last edited by utak; 10-12-2012 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Format problems, due to user error
10-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and thank you for that interesting introduction.
10-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Forum Member

I also like the 28 (mine is a M version) for walkarounds. Must be because it gives you the perfect focal distance on crop sensor (43mm)? maybe. Too bad that your copy of the M28 isn't good, mine is very good, although the bokeh is too "funky" sometimes.

Welcome to PF!
10-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Many thanks for your welcomes!