Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax user in Thailand

Hi,

I've been using Pentax since about 1977, having started with an ME, graduating to MXs then an MZ-s and now a K5. Have always found Pentax kit to be the most comfortable fit and despite having one some exhibition work for Nikon while a student (photo science) in London in the early 80s have always preferred the pentax feel. Always will.

Moved to Thailand in 93 with the job, and then started our own company in 2000 working in web development.

The difficulty here of being a Pentax user is the near invisibility of the brand outside of point and shoots.

My interests are in predominantly insect and other macro photography, but also landscapes. Just wish I had more time to devote to photography, which has seen something of a hiatus in recent years due to the demands of running a business.

A small gallery of some earlier work is available at etcetera.shutterpoint.com.

Comments welcome, and would also be keen to hear from other pentax users in Thailand... I believe we are a rare breed here!

Cheers

Rob

10-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I used to live in thailand, and remember that I am one of the only three people in the university using Pentex back then. Now I live in Japan, and I can see a lot of Pentax user here. (but still, not as many as Canon and Nikon users.)
10-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
Japan must be something of a pentax paradise compared to here... even overheard someone in a mall here saying that he thought that only canon and nikon made cameras these days!

Sad really!

Cheers

Rob
10-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by roblgs Quote
even overheard someone in a mall here saying that he thought that only canon and nikon made cameras these days!

Sad really!
sad, indeed

by the way, you have a very nice correction from the given link above.

10-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #5

Philippines has the same issue but they do have a dedicated Pentax store in one of the malls but its tiny and only a few visit it being dwarfed by the wholesale store full of Nikons and Canon's right beside it hehe.
10-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
@pakinjapan

Thanks for the compliment!

@marcusd

I don't think we even have that option here... If we do then it's microscopic and/or extremely well hidden. Pentax point-n-shoots though are commonly seen in the stores, but dslrs, lenses are very poorly supported and in many cases grey imports. Secondhand kit is now also difficult to find, though a decade or more ago I did score a M series 35/2 and a wonderful K series 105/2.8 in a pro store that sadly no longer exists.

Would be good if Ricoh would do something to bolster the brand here, but with Nikon and Canon so dominating the mindset here, it will may be a lost cause.

I live in hope!

Rob