Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
I like Pentax photography too!

Hello reader,

I am a bit new to photography, well film photography that is.
The camera I am shooting with is a Pentax K1000. I like it!
Film fascinates me. I like the idea of photosensitive crystals in an emulsion
reacting to light to create an image, really magic!
Now, I don't have any real complaints of digital photography, it definitely gets the job done,
it's just not as appealing to me as film. Maybe I like the idea of negative/slide on a gelatin strip
instead of pixels, 01001001's.

I am trying different kinds of film and finding there's a nice selection out there.
It can get costly with buying film and processing. But a little hobby allowance is available from time to time.
Then there's the wait making it much more thrilling to take
a photo and see if the damn thing comes out! From what I've experienced so far can be a real let down or
rewarding pay off!

So any how, I am here to pick up a few tips, check out some other's photography, and share some of mine.

I see a majority of you guys shoot digital, which is cool, but if any of you have tips
for film, please, I'm all ears!

Thank you!

Fisher

10-05-2012, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #2

Hey Fisher welcome to the forum. You've got yourself a great beginner camera! Aside from reading threads over at the Film SLR Discussion forum I suggest you look for photography books that are pretty easy to find at local thrift shops. Usually they're pretty old books that obviously only focus on film and have tons of great tips on photography techniques and much more!

I found this great book at my local Goodwill titled "The Photographer's Handbook" by John Hedgecoe & Alfred A. Knopf. It has a lot of info on different types of film cameras, films, studio techniques, lighting techniques, composition, and much more. For about $2 it is a great investment and was of great help when I started out shooting film with my Ricoh XR-S.

Film is a lot of fun, enjoy!
10-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions Guakala.
Fortunately there is a good used book store across the street from
me. I picked up a nice book on photography, film for sure, it's dated 1970's.
The book talks briefly of the history of photography, and seems to hit on
the key points of photography.

The Ricoh XR-S seems like a real fine camera.

Have you ever shot with a TLR camera?
10-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #4

Nice find. Funny you ask me about a TLR, I've had a Rolleiflex T Type 1 with a gummed up shutter that my mom gave me about a year go, today I took it out of my closet to see how much I could possibly get selling it as a "for repair" camera, and I guess siting in the closet for over a year did the trick, the shutter is free once again haha... Though I'm still considering putting it up sale.

Thanks, the XR-S is a fine camera indeed and it came with a 50mm F1.4 lens when I bought it I just got an XR-7 with winder for driving a friend to the airport yesterday.