Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #1

canon user

new member thinking of switching to pentax

10-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #2

Hello, Why are you thinking about switching and what do you have now?
10-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You know, and I say this as a very happy Pentax user, if you have some good glass, stick with Canon and work on your skills, or find out why the body you have isn't doing what you want. I love my Pentax gear. But honestly, I'd probably also be happy enough with Canon or Nikon that I wouldn't be willing to take a hit on the cost of new lenses, etc., just because I wasn't getting the kind of photos I wanted with what I had. I would find out why I wasn't getting the photos I wanted and deal with it within the brand I currently owned.

I say this as a guy who has shot with every major brand of camera: Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Samsung, Sony... There's a way to make them all work for you.
10-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I switched from Canon to Pentax and am very happy. Granted, it was Canon film and Pentax digital.

One of the main reasons I switched was I felt Pentax had better backwards compatibility with lenses. I liked the idea of being able to buy a lens for $35 and throw it in my bag, right alongside a $350 lens, or $1200 lens. (Granted, I don't have the funds to buy $1200 lenses )

Another big thing, as a Minnesotan, is the weather sealing. I have yet to find another brand that seems as well sealed, at least in my price range, as Pentax. This is a HUGE deal, because the best days to shoot in our beautiful, wonderful state are also what is seen as the worst weather for camera damage. I brave the cold, snow, sleet, rain, anything with my Pentax, and it keeps firing away like mad. It's so wonderful.

I would like to echo Matt's questions, as well. What are you currently shooting? What are your lenses? What do you find to be left out on Canon's set that you think could be better with Pentax?