Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2012, 02:33 AM   #1

New member in Revelstoke,BC

I just bought my first DSLR - a Pentax K-20D and I'm loving it so far. I'm still learning how to use it - I've only ever used a point and shoot camera before. I travel often to China so I see some amazing places, but my point and shoot camera has really disappointed me.

My camera came with a couple lenses - a Sigma 17-70mm and a Pentax 28-200mm. The Sigma seems like a decent lens and the Pentax sounds like a kit lens, but also very decent, though I haven't used it yet.

I've been reading as much as possible, and taken a few pictures so far, but I still have a lot of learning to do before I get any decent pictures.

10-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #2

Original Poster
Apparently new users can't edit posts. My name's Ned by the way.
10-09-2012, 02:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome!

Hello Ned, Welcome to the Forum!
You're right, the Sigma is a good zoom. The 28-200mm is a kit lens, and my experience with do-everything (extremely wide zoom range) lenses is they they are versatile but usually don't do any one thing exceptionally well.
My advice it to use the zooms as much as you can, and study the photos; You will eventually find a focal length that suits you better than others.
For example, with "Scenics" my usual focal range is roughly 20-30mm. So I bought a 24mm prime lens, in hopes of improving the image quality of the photos taken in this focal range. And it worked! They're sharper, cleaner and in addition I have a smaller, faster lens to use on the majority of shots.
So, zooms are handy, but for ultimate sharpness and resolution, a prime is generally better.
Ron
10-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How about putting your new camera to use in that great railroad museum you have up there? Some pretty stunning scenery in your neck of the woods too as I recall...

10-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
Haha. I hadn't thought about taking any pictures of the trains. I see them every day, and they wake me up almost every night.

I'll see what I can do.
10-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #6

Welcome from a fellow Canadian.
10-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum, Ned. I haven't been in Revelstoke since last year, but love your area. Another forum member, Chex, is also from Revelstoke. I hope you enjoy all the info, help and challenges here.