Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Greetings from the home of George Eastman

Hi, everyone!

Way back in the 1970's I got my first ever "real" camera: a Pentax K1000. Man, I loved that camera.

Then, in the 1980's, I decided to finally upgrade. I was stationed in England at the time, and the photography club on base sold Pentax. I picked the Pentax Super A over the Super Program for the sole reason that it was all black... How high-tech looking! All black and sleek and stuff

In the 90's I abandoned Pentax and moved digital. The cameras were many and nameless. None left a lasting expression, except for a learned hatred of shutter lag.

In the 00's I returned to the fold when I discovered that the DSLR had been invented. I was shopping in our local (now gone) Circuit City when I spied a Pentax *istDL. I stopped looking instantly and bought it on the spot, It's been my faithful friend even since.

Now, in the 2010's I notice my friend is a little grainy in low light situations. I notice that it doesn't take video. I notice the the stock lens "sticks" near infinity and won't autofocus unless I put it in manual to "loosen it up" first.

Yep. My friend wants to retire.

SO I found this site trying to help me decide what my next camera will be. I'm torn between the K5 and K-30. I like the external mic connection, long battery life, and amazing reputation of the K5, but I'm also drawn to the K-30's video auto-focus, 30 fps video, ability to take AA's if I'm on the road and desperate, and (dare I say it) it's cool blueness. I know, serious photographers only do black, but I like the blue (remember, I bought the Super A strictly because of the all blackness of it).

I also toyed around with the idea of a K-01, but I read a lot of negative comments about its autofocus. And I find the lack of a viewfinder to be unnerving.

Anyway, it's nice to be here. Thanks for letting me join.

10-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Snowgen,

I haven't been here long myself (a month-or-so). Reading your camera history was interesting. Glad you've arrived at the digital Pentax stop.

Regards, Gary
10-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from a fellow Upstater. There aren't too many Pentax shooters outside of NYC it would seem. The only camera store I know of that carries Pentax outside of NYC is Delaware Camera in Buffalo
10-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
boriscleto,

Thanks for the tip about Delaware. I currently have to travel to Niagara Falls, every month, so maybe I'll check them out next time I'm there!

11-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The only camera store I know of that carries Pentax outside of NYC is Delaware Camera in Buffalo
I was up in the area a couple weekends ago. I was going to stop by Delaware, but I called instead. They said they do not carry Pentax cameras.
11-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Snowgen Quote
I was up in the area a couple weekends ago. I was going to stop by Delaware, but I called instead. They said they do not carry Pentax cameras.
Then Pentax should fix their listings.
11-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Welcome Snowgen. For your new upgrade you'll have to do what a lot of us have to do. Order one from B&H or Adorama. Both are reputable and will take returns within 30 days for a full refund if you don't like what you purchased. I've not had to return anything so I guess I've been lucky. And if you get to go to the City, you can always drop into their brick and mortar stores.
11-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

My step son lives in Niagara Falls, Ontario, and maybe 15 minutes from his house, there is a Henry's in St. Catherine's. We bought a K-x there a few years ago. Also Frederick's photo in St. Catherines seems to have a selection of Pentax gear, and have invited me to come in and browse, though I've never actually been there.

11-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Welcome Snowgen. For your new upgrade you'll have to do what a lot of us have to do. Order one from B&H or Adorama. Both are reputable and will take returns within 30 days for a full refund if you don't like what you purchased. I've not had to return anything so I guess I've been lucky. And if you get to go to the City, you can always drop into their brick and mortar stores.
I agree about B&H & Adorama. As for the K5 and its battery. I've never had one unexpectedly run flat. The charger does not weigh much, although it does take up a bit of space in your luggage. Unless I'm going to be gone for an extended period, I usually leave it home. Two freshly charged batteries have always been sufficient, but then I don't shoot much video and am not a professional.
11-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
For your new upgrade you'll have to do what a lot of us have to do. Order one from B&H or Adorama. Both are reputable and will take returns within 30 days for a full refund if you don't like what you purchased. I've not had to return anything so I guess I've been lucky. And if you get to go to the City, you can always drop into their brick and mortar stores.
I've ordered from B&H before, and have been pleased with them. Never dealt with Adorama.

I had finally decided to go with the K-30 when I read the news about the new price drop for the K-01, so now I'm tempted to go that route. Decisions, decisions.