Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I should have written Canon 24-70 L II 2.8, they no longer make the regular 2.8. When looking at Canon one has to realize that the new II series lenses are way much more money and slightly better performance, not a good combination.

10-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #17

Original Poster
If you can find one the FA 28-70mm f2.8 seems to be getting top marks! Its older and heavy. Just saw some reviews on the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 that look very promising.

Last edited by versacopter; 10-21-2012 at 11:39 PM.
10-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Versacopter/Guidoc,

First and foremost, welcome to the Pentax family

Secondly, I concur with all your statements above regarding the need for exceptional quality in a smaller, more durable, and more affordable package.

Third, and what motivated me to respond to this post, was Guidoc's question regarding the DA* 16-50. If you take a look at the comparison between the Sigma/Tamron/Pentax variations of the 16/17-50 f/2.8 lenses (APS-C only), it seems the Pentax lags behind in image quality, albeit slightly to my eye. I have no experience with the Sigma or Tamron - I only have experience with the 16-50. For my purposes, I find it to be the perfect workhorse lens because of its zoom range and my documentary-style photography that I have been doing as of late, however otherwise I tend to naturally prefer the extremes - super wide or telephoto, which right now usually means the Sigma 8-16 and DA* 60-250 (both being absolutely stellar lenses). I have a tendency to zoom in tight, hence why I usually prefer the 60-250 over the 16-50 as a walkabout. But as of the previous 8 months, I have taken about 80% of my shots with the 16-50 because of its normal zoom range, which works well in my current operating environment. Lately, I have been carrying two cameras while doing "combat camera" photojournalism, and I find the 16-50/60-250 to be an absolutely perfect combination. I am sure the IQ of the two 3rd parties have better ultimate IQ as per the tests/comparisons, but the 16-50 has the DA*'s legendary build quality incorporating the weather sealing that I find absolutely critical to my photography. I own 7 lenses, and only the two Sigmas (see signature) are not weather sealed, and that is because they fill specific niches that Pentax unfortunately does not offer.

For a plethora of examples regarding the photography I have done as of late, please see my signature and visit my latest deployment update. Yes that is Number Thirteen, however you can view the previous 12 from there, which I recommend starting from the beginning. There are over 250 images, and most are with the 16-50, followed by with the 60-250, then 8-16, with a few sprinkled in with the DA* 55 and the DFA 100mm Macro WR.

Also, here is a testimonial of how I have applied the incredible weather sealing and durability by Pentax during my current deployment to Afghanistan. Scroll down to Posts 5 and 6 by me.

So in conclusion, if you need ultimate IQ in a standard zoom, I recommend the Sigma, which should also boast a bit faster AF. However if you can take a slight compromise there (I honestly do not notice an issue with IQ except for select instances, and in my case that is usually due to the guy behind the camera), but require the ultimate in build quality and weather sealing/durability, the Pentax is a no brainer. Unfortunately you will pay for it. I recommend being patient and looking here at the marketplace for the DA* 16-50, I was able to find one for a very good deal from another member who was a secondhand owner of the lens. Brand new, though, I would agree is not that easy of a decision. If you do plan to buy new, check out this thread.

Hope this helps.

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 10-21-2012 at 10:32 PM.
10-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Spent the morning looking at your posts, good on you Brother.
I live in the mountains above 6,500 feet, weather proofing is important but more so on my long glass.
Wheather proofing on my everyday zoom is less of an issue, I am looking for quality.
Life is different for me Heie, while you are out there looking out for your men in harms way, I am walking the woods hunting for the perfect shot.
You provide me the ability to enjoy my hobby in a safe environment and I thank you for that.
I believe that what you are doing for your country today will echo an eternity.