Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #1

Just another Pentax convert!

Hi everyone,

Looking forward to getting to know some new people and Equipment. Just switched from Canon and am super exited to setup with some great new Pentax gear.

Charlie

10-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aww yea! Welcome! This forum is a great resource for equipment and usage, hope you have fun
10-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Ditto

Just joined forum and just converted from Canon, waiting for my order of K5IIS.
My biggest worry is fear of disappointment. Just can't find the telephoto I need wiht Pentax and will need to get Sigma glass.
Are you looking at any long telephoto 300 and above and what have you found that makes sense.
For lower primes it seems as if the DA Limited series are serious lenses.
For short telephoto, every day type, it is a close call between Pentax and Sigma on the 12-24. There is a good comparison on this forum, I am still not convinced. Canon 24-70 2.8L II is a dream lens and I've had "0" experience with Sigma or Pentax (other than smpling Pentax DA Limiteds prior to making decision).
Just curious to know what glass you are considering and if you've compared it to any L glass.
10-21-2012, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

We know why Pentaxians leave (for FF), so tell us why you decided to leave Canon for Pentax?

10-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi, My K-5 will be here this Thursday. I'm just digging around trying to find the right lens combo. I never had L glass All my lenses are tokina, tamron or sigma. I have enjoyed most of them.
Sounds like you have better glass than me.
my current long lens is a 200-500mm tamron. It is sharp as a tack. but no stabilizer.
short lens is a tokina 12-24mm. it is a great little lens and solid.
Canon 17-85 IS , has been a disappointment
Sigma 18-200mm IS, Really handy walk around lens. I keep it on most days
most recent 50-150 f2.8 sigma (rented) also not so good.

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at this point,
my reasons for switching where
High ISO performance
image stabilizer at sensor (Huge Factor)
and piles of glass to choose from (I don't mind manual focus)
Weather sealed
10-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
We know why Pentaxians leave (for FF), so tell us why you decided to leave Canon for Pentax?
OK, what do you really know about Pentaxians? Is that really necessary? Actually some people have left for smaller lighter systems, so even your pointless negativety is off base. Just another of one of the thousands of comments on this site where people take a thread with a positive Pentax slant and poison the conversation with their jaded opinions. You just can't have an thread positive towards Pentax here without people jumping in off topic, bringing up negatives. You just are not allowed to express the joy you feel about using your Pentax equipment without the negativity creeping in. It doesn't matter how obtuse the comments are, any excuse will do.
10-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I think this is a valid point. Just not one that would apply to me. Truth is that some are scrambling to the FF systems. Just not me, I'm very content (at this time) with the smaller sensor. I see no reason to switch. or spend huge money on FF IS lenses.

10-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I didn't think your comment was negative, correct me if I'm wrong. My perception from reading people who've been selling off all their stuff here lately is that they are doing so exactly for the reason you say . . . wanting FF now (of course, I suppose some would say they weren't "true" Pentaxians, whatever the hell that is). But I believe the majority of Pentax users are sticking with the brand because of what Pentax does right, or at least the way we like it done. I, for instance, love the compactness and the lens selection, so I'm more than willing to wait for a Pentax FF to see if they make a great more-compact FF; I'll be fine even if they don't develop a FF but stick strictly with producing the finest APS-C around.

Finally, I think your question was interesting. I too would like to know why people switch from other systems to Pentax.

Last edited by les3547; 10-21-2012 at 11:09 AM.
10-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #9

Original Poster
Camera based IS system! With a sensor and camera that performs or outperforms its competitors. Huge selection of old sharp glass. My K-5 is on it's way and my Canon gear is going up for auction. I have been on the fence for some time but a recent experience with indoor fast paced skating showed the need for improved ISO.
10-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Give me freedom, give me quality, give me Pentax!!!

Interesting how things develop.
The initial reply to my post was regarding FF and photographers leaving Pentax to join Canon.
I am certain most of you here know how advantageous an APS-C is to nature photography, glass becomes the issue. As a long time Canon user I've learned to adore Canon glass and really don't have anything negative to say about it. My discontent with Canon is its disregard for the advanced user, they have left us with no choice.
If you are in the market for a 400mm or better lenses, you are looking at $10,000 and up. There are two options, the 300 4.0 and the 400 5.6 that are much cheaper, I've used both and they are not what I expected.
This all started with the release of the "II". 300L II 2.8 is now twice the cost of Sigma 300 2.8. 500L II 4.0 is now twice Sigma 400 4.5 (Sigma does not have Image Stabilization).
Why not leave in production the previous version (let's call it "I")? Rebrand, change the color, I don't care, just give us an option that will not break the bank. Any Canon user will tell you that the original version of the 500 will meet every and all needs of the nature photographer, why take that away from us? You've not lost a sale, you've only alienated the guy willing to spend $7K and now forced to spent $10.5.
Anyways, yes, very excited about FF, but not excited about the liability. When you take out a 5DIII, with a 24-70LII, you are taking out over $6K worth of equipment (including taxes). You can take out your K5IIS with Sigma 24-70 for roughly $2K. Many articles have been written at how comparable those lens are, Sigma losing out at full aperture but holding its own after that.
I personally switched to gain a system that would allow me to take chances. Weather proof is huge to me, low lite is huge to me, light is huge to me, and yes, I demand all of that at an affordable price that also yields solid shots leaving the rest to me.
The Canon system is a heavy system to haul around, it is also unfortunately too much of a liability.
Give me freedom, give me quality, give me Pentax!!!
10-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

WOW, totally wasn't negative. I absolutely LOVE my KX. It seems to me that most of the big "I'm leaving Pentax forever" posts are for people going for FF. I was just trying to find out why people are coming this way. For me, I love the colors, the compatibility with old lenses (with IS), my gear is lighter than the equivalent Canon/Nikon, and my KX is blue (stupid reason, but I love it).
10-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow, I sense NO hostility in this post at all. it's a simple and easy question. I too would wonder what would make someone make the switch from the Canikon family to "ours." wether it be price (reason #1 for me) or weight/size or who has the better neck strap. It's good to see more people join the Pentax family. In my town, I have yet to spot a Pentax user. It's getting kinda lonely here haha.
10-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #13

Original Poster
If some people want FF they don't have much of an option. I don't need or want that right now.
I believe Pentax is on the right track!
10-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #14

Original Poster
I'm surrounded by Nikon users some who switched from Canon. I'll let you know what they think. Photo journalists are amongst me!
10-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #15
Inactive Account

It is easier to find affordable wide angle glass to fit an APS-C than to buy a good telephoto for a FF.
Basically I can find great 10-20 lenses or low FL primes, but to get close to nature I usually end up in the 400 MM plus. A 500 mm Sigma lens is around 5K, as you know this is more like an 800 mm. If a FF camera needed to reach 800 mm it would be 6.5K. For Canon, hold on to your seat, 500 mm is $10.5K and an 800 is $14K.
So basically you would have to buy a great Canon camera and opt out of the super fantastic L series Telephoto to match it up with non IS Sigma lenses.
Again, I would rather go ahead and take the Pentax with similar low light performance and match it up with Sigma.
Also think of FF real purpose, which I believe is portrait, landscape and street. Canon makes a great lens for that, the 24-70 L 2.8. The problem is that it costs $2,300!! Again, I would rather match a Pentax with a Tamron 24-70, a great lens... oh no, please tell me it is available for Pentax? I thought it was but when searching for the price I found out it is not?!
This is now an emergency, I've read that Pentax DA* 16-50 is not a good lense and I was going to overcome this by getting the Tamron 24-70 for everyday shooting. Any suggestions? Need sharp, fast, true glass, I take pride in my pictures and need all the help I can get from my lenses (yes, the rest is up to me).