Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
New Pentax Convert, waiting for K5IIS Shipment

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've never joined a Forum before, look forward to great input from members.
Ordered my K5IIS, dealer promised it has been shipped and will be in by next Friday.
Currently Canon user, mostly nature, landscape and macro.
Over 20 years with Canon, can't afford or refuse to pay $14K for new 600, decided it was time.
Went for the low light, rugged, lighter technology Pentax offers.
Making my lens list, looks like mostly Pentax primes for anything under 200mm, with Sigma 300 2.8 and Sigma 500 4.5
Again, looking forward to tap into the Pentax knowledge base this Forum prides itself in.

10-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #2

You sound a lot like me except with better Canon equipment. Looking forward to seeing what final list you end up with.

Charlie
10-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I learned many years ago equipment does not make a photographer, but good glass sure does help.
Sounds like you've gone thorugh a similar transition. Don't know how long ago it was, but do you remember there being a huge difference in focus speed and accuracy?
I ask because to my kind of photography that is crucial and I am transferring to a new system believing the marketing hype. This new K5IIS is supposed to be very fast and accurate. I’ve tested the K5 and found it ok but inconsistent.
To be honest I am also unhappy with the way Canon has forgotten the large advanced amateur base, terminating great lenses and bringing new ones that are marginally better and at least 35% more cost.
Pentax seems the reasonable choice; it is affordable, rugged and yet appears to produce the right results in capable hands. The lens above 200 mm are lacking, and thus the second issue, I will for the first time try something other than Canon (it has been over 20 years!!).
Do you own any Sigma long glass and have you had good experience with it?
10-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #4

I don't have any. I just listed my Tamron 200-500mm on ebay. You are shooting much faster lenses than I can afford to buy.
Recently I rented a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 lens it performed well though I don't think it held its own against the 70-200L lens.
I'm mostly do this for fun and until recently felt that Canon served me well. I have just started shooting indoor College sports and realized that It was going to take a complete update of equipment. When I really started looking at specs. Pentax just offered so much more. Than Canon or Nikon.

10-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #5

Pentax SMC Pentax A Green Star 400mm F 2 8 Ed If Lens EX 0027075002111 | eBay

They seem to have some really nice Glass out there not sure how it compares to L glass but It is there. Price is out of my league for sure!
10-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've read great things about it's quality, but it is a manual lense. I actually don't mind manual lenses, unfortunately my focusing skills are not fast enough!! Overall most who grew up with autofocus tend to have many more keepers with a good af system.
This link is to a website describing the different Pentax lenses, there is probably something a whole lot better out there but it does have all the information I need:

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
10-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #7

yeah, didn't realize it was manual. I don't mind manual but not if I'm spending real money. 6.5k non the less. eek!