Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yomer Quote
Uh oh, what about kids in motion? School events, parties, family gatherings. I intend to shoot both static and dynamic scenes.
I'm not sure, you'd have to ask one of the complainers. We've done sequences for children dancing, my dog chasing his ball, I can show you shots of my dog coming at me full tilt, 5 shot sequence with every shot in focus. So I don't know what these people are talking about. I'm a nice guy and I like to believe folks aren't BSing me, and a lot of switchers who cover sports etc. have said Canon is much better and they get a lot more keepers. I've determined that for my needs and life, I just don't run into situations where the K-5 doesn't give me good results. Someone who switched to Canon for the better tracking would have to chime in. But then, I don't see many of those guys in the forum anymore. FOr my grandkids running around... the K-5 is fine, especially if I remember to turn of the shake reduction when panning. I think some people get messed up because they don't know they have to turn off shake reduction when following the action. Just because someone thinks there is something wrong with their Pentax, doesn't mean there is. Sometimes it just means they never learned how to use it.

10-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
It's funny that people still talk about the AF performance, but rarely specify what lenses they're using and what settings and conditions. I am only guessing that the lenses have an effect on the AF speed and accuracy.

Just a guess, though.

Mind you, the 5DII had a pretty poor AF system, which I rank even below the K-5 and it didn't seem to stop it from becoming perhaps the most dominant cam for pro use.
Massive difference between my Tamron and DA 35mm...
10-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm not sure, you'd have to ask one of the complainers. We've done sequences for children dancing, my dog chasing his ball, I can show you shots of my dog coming at me full tilt, 5 shot sequence with every shot in focus. So I don't know what these people are talking about. I'm a nice guy and I like to believe folks aren't BSing me, and a lot of switchers who cover sports etc. have said Canon is much better and they get a lot more keepers. I've determined that for my needs and life, I just don't run into situations where the K-5 doesn't give me good results. Someone who switched to Canon for the better tracking would have to chime in. But then, I don't see many of those guys in the forum anymore. FOr my grandkids running around... the K-5 is fine, especially if I remember to turn of the shake reduction when panning. I think some people get messed up because they don't know they have to turn off shake reduction when following the action. Just because someone thinks there is something wrong with their Pentax, doesn't mean there is. Sometimes it just means they never learned how to use it.
Thanks for the comment/advice. Of course I won't be following professional sports. I'll most likely be in similar situations like You. And I think the low light performace of the new SAFOX X will allow me to get those extra keepers.
10-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, I did some testing over the weekend and the issue mainly seems in the DA* lens. It has focussing and sharpness issues. I tried some snaps with a manual 50mm f 1.7 lens and the difference was huge. The auto-focus using bigma was also great ( and fast ) so the main issue here does not seem to be in the camera but in my 16-50 lens.

10-29-2012, 02:51 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Those of us who don't often focus on fast moving objects don't notice much difference. Neither do most of the test sites where on stationary objects teh difference between a Nikon System in bright light and low ISO was measured in 1/100s of a second. People should be warned though, if you are going to base your purchase on shooting fast moving objects. Pentax isn't for you. The subjects I shoot, I ask them to hold still or they are still, like still life or landscapes. I'm sure I'd get more seagull in flight keepers if I was shooting Canon or Nikon. But that's like twice a year. And I still get some keepers. Not as many as I'd get with a Canon or Nikon, but I'm usually only looking for 1 or 2, so it never becomes an issue.
Main problem from my point of view is the size of AF points. In AFC for tracking objects is a pain, as it jumps back and forth. I have to rely on my eyes through the dark K-X viewfinder to choose when to push the shutter. i even prefer AFC in some stationary situations when the subject is at some distance. AFS sometimes lock on something else around, but in AFC i can move it a little and stop when it focused on what i want Off course, forget about focus and recompose in AFC.

Since you mentioned seagulls, from this summer (can't upload bigger, have to resize to 1024 and under 1mb):

10-29-2012, 03:05 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by psibian Quote
I have found my k30 hunting when I try to focus with objects at planes far part. For example, viewing something through a mesh fence.
You might like to check this out, from the Nikon D600 Manual... Mesh fences or cages are not good for any AF system .

10-29-2012, 05:45 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You might like to check this out, from the Nikon D600 Manual... Mesh fences or cages are not good for any AF system .
The fences thread would like to have a word with you
10-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

In the above situations you have to trust your eye. Autofocus will shift around as you move the camera and you snap when the part of the image you want is in focus. There's no other way around that with any autofocus. If you're trying to capture an image of a warbler in a tree on a breezy day, you're going to shoot a lot of misses. That's just how it is. Tracking motion with AF-C is not a big problem if you keep your center point on the object. At that point, you're going to want to maximize depth of field.

I delete the images where the bird has jumped out of sight or is out of focus. It's about patience and persistence.

There's no way both dogs would be in focus in this instance. Pick one to track as he runs full-speed toward you (and hope he doesn't decide to ram you).

11-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

i use the k5 for action shots all the time...sports (biking, running, rodeo kayakers, field sports), birds in flight, etc and i am very happy with the camera... surprised to hear that people don't think it is good for action...i have never used anything else so maybe if i did i might have a different perspective.