Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Hi there

Hi everyone. Im new here and found the forum upon searching the SMC Pentax m f1.7 50mm lens that I bought yesterday. Im a 29 year old mum of 4 from Lancashire who loves photography. Ive just taken up being self employed as a wedding photographer. Ive been told I have a good eye for photography. I used to own a Nikon D50 but I dropped it and now my baby is a Pentax K-x. I have the standard 18-55 lens, a 70-300 tamron lens and just bought the smc pentax 50mm F1.7 for a fantastic price of £22 from the local CEX shop.

Heres a couple of pics ive taken last night and today, mainly of my dog and kids

10-26-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! The old glass is wonderful and often inexpensive. A great help to those of us on a budget. Try again with the shots of the kids.
10-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
oops it seems to have put 3 pics of m#y drive on

here are my child pics

10-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Suzanne. Nice pics - I want your dog, he/she's gorgeous! You've made good use of the shallow dof of that lens wide open at f1.7, but the photos would be improved by ensuring the focus point is on the subject (e.g. the dog's eyes) or that the depth of focus is deep enough to have a little more of the subject in focus (e.g. the cute shot of the little boy, which to my taste, would benefit from more of his face being sharp).

On the other hand, the shallow depth of focus on the shot of the girl on the bike is spot on, and helps her 'pop out' against the background.

You possibly already know this, but to get the lens stopped down for a bit deeper focus, you need to use it in M mode with the aperture selected on the lens itself. In other modes, the lens always has a wide-open aperture, no matter what you select on the lens. More details here - Using Older Lenses with the PENTAX K-x | Pentax Support

10-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thats really helpful thankyou, I didnt know that i thought it would do the same in Av mode. I love how the background is very blurred but agree I wish his face was sharper. What aperture would you suggest ?
10-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
has this come out any better ? x

10-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

NIce shot! ...and welcome to the forum.

10-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Hi Suxie the aperture i use is 5.6 try it
Sue
10-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
has this come out any better ? x
Beautiful eyes and a great kid expression! You will be amazed at the information, ideas, and help (not to mention the fun contests, challenges, etc.) that you will find on this forum.
10-27-2012, 02:57 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thankyou, I look forward to joining in