Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #1

Hi Guys, I've been looking around for a good Pentax Forum and it appears that I've found it. I've been taking pics for a fair while now and started off, many moons ago, on a Pentax SLR although I don't profess to be an expert, but just some one who likes taking reasonable shots and perhaps using Photoshop every now and then. However, what really started me looking for a Forum was that I had bought a K5 some months ago and was trying to add to the range of lenses. I had some Tamron lenses from previous cameras and some Tamron Adaptalls allowed me to reuse those. But I've been buying some old Pentax lenses and encountered the problem of how to get them to work on the K5. One of the lenses was a SMC 1.2.8 28mm Pentax which fitted the camera but the K5 wouldn't fire the shutter. Then I came across this Forum and found a member had posted a link on how to set up the K5 to fire the shutter with old lenses mounted, so may I send my thanks to that member for such good advice and which solved my particular problem. So now I'll have a little look around the Forum, if I may, and catch up on the World of Pentax and receive some education!

10-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome. I look forward to seeing your images. Also glad you found help with the K5 vs older lenses. My K5 should be here today hopefully. I've had no trouble using my M42 or M lenses on my K20D and it'll be interesting to see how they fair on the K5.
10-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Yup, this is the place to be.
Come on in, the water's fine.
10-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums

11-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome!! I'm still trying to get my head around the capabilities of the K5 and I'm really pleased with it's performance and build quality. I've managed to acquire two good used examples of the Tamron 24mm and Pentax 28mm lenses so I'm in the process of testing those out and trying to work out how to get the best out of them. I've got to say there is a mine of information here and my brain is having trouble soaking it all in!
11-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

The Catch-in-Focus makes the manual lenses much more convenient to use, for sure. And I do like the color rendition of the old glass. I have a 50mm f/2 which takes very nice images - they just look more full than some of the modern lenses. Maybe it's all my imagination, I don't know.
11-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hi Ter-or, I must admit I like using manual focus and a lot of the "old glass" can hold their own against some of the new stuff, and there is a demand for it even discounting the issue of price. The ability of the K5 to take old lenses and give such great results is just another reason I'm happy with it. By the way, it's not your imagination and I agree with you. I have to confess I've just bought a Tamron 28-70mm [44A] lens for what I consider a really great price, but that will be the last one to my armoury until I get more experienced with the K5 and all my lenses.