Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-5 or K-30

Hi All,

I am from Iowa, land of the Hawkeyes, and a kite flyer. Please check out my website: www.colorthewind.org

Back in mid 80's I purchased a film SLR -------- Pentax SF-1 and a Pentax SF-10 with zoom lenses----- F 35-70 and F70-210. When digitals came out, I went to p/s until now realizing that my lenses will work on a new Pentax SLR. I am considering k-5 or k-30. Previously primarily used auto focus with aperture priority or just let camera do its thing. Did some manual, but not great deal unless low light or macro. From what I am reading all over the place :-) it appears that K-30 might be the way to go. The price of k-5 only about $150 more. Not so concerned about the price, just wanting to select best for me.

I would possibly add a lense at some later date. Feedback on my current lenses not too bad. Being a kite flyer we use a lot of jpeg. Most shoot kites, scenery, people, and whatever grabs me. My wife also shoots a lot of pics.

Thanks for you input.

10-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From your description of your needs I would suggest the k-30.
10-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome kiteman, I was an avid kiteflyer myself a few decades ago as team member on a couple of sport kite teams, and still try to get out to festivals once in a while.

I use a K-5 myself, but any Pentax DSLR will be able to use your legacy lenses. The K-30 is a nice camera and sounds like a good fit for your use.

On the new DSLR's your wide lens may not seem so wide, so be sure and pick up a kit lens to get you an 18mm wide angle which you'll need for the sky color shots.

The WR version of the kit lens will help keep sand from getting into your camera so it is a good idea for those windy beach days.

Enjoy!
10-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If you're not terribly into photography, a used KX or KR will give you nearly the same image quality as the k30 for a lot less money, with fewer controls that you may or may not want any way.

10-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Should I consider your k-7?
10-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

My K-7 would do anything you need it to do. The k-5 and k-30 have better ISO ranges, but if you are shooting kites outdoors, that is not in the equation. I am only selling the K-7 to fund my k-5 purchase. It is a great camera.
10-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I sent you a pm.
10-31-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Good deal

Agree with the k- 7