Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2012, 02:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Greetings from the Netherlands

Greetings to all of you. I am a member of the Pentax Forums for about 1.5 year now, but I was more a reader then a contributor. Recently I posted an entry in the giveaway and the system pointed out to me that this was my first entry on the forum and that I might want to introduce myself. And so I do.

I am a 46 years old married man from the Netherlands and I have a 7 year old daughter. Though I have been photographing for a while in the film age most rolls ended up in a drawer since I did not have the money to have the roll developed and the photos printed. Then when digital photography was upcoming I bought a very cheap trust digital camera and some of the first shots with that camera were taken during the birth of my daughter in 2005.
Then in 2006 I bought the a much better compact camera, the Panasonic Lumix FZ-7. In that time during a community weekend of the church I took pictures of the all activities. After the weekend ended I gave away the photos on a cd to all the participants. After seeing the photos two couples asked me to take pictures of their weddings. They did not care if I only had the FZ-7 to do the job. So I did it and had some very satisfied friends.

Based on this experience I thought that I did have a talent for photography and in 2007 I decided to buy a DSLR and try to make some money with it. So I evaluated all camera's within my budget, compared the specifications and examined the test shots on the internet. Without a doubt the Pendax K10D was the very best I could get and I bought it. As a semi-professional I started a company and I did low budget assignments mostly for my christian brothers and sisters. But since there was not much income and it did take a lot of time after a while I ended the company and continued with photography just for the hobby. I created a low budget studio in the attic with a cloth and construction lights and started doing more and more portrait photography.

Then early this year when my company fired a lot of people I started wondering what I would do if I was fired. I thought it would be great if I could start my own studio. Orientating I looked around and calculated what the starting capital needed to be. Then I heard an interview on the radio of a man who was filling a building with creative professions. Since I knew him personal I contacted him to talk about what would be possible in a building like that if I ever wanted to start a studio. We started talking and I found that it was possible to hire a suitable space with reasonable conditions. The studio space is 8 x 4 x 2.75 meter (26 x 13 x 9 ft.). So even though I still have my day job and with some financial support I managed to start my own studio in April of this year. To do this I also started a new company: Studio Menno Fotografie.

I equipped my studio with studio flashes and more stuff I needed and in the past half year I have spent 10-20 hours per week learning a whole lot about studio photography. I practiced with many models and I am trying to do many different kinds of studio photography, but always with people.
I also had some paying customers and I sometimes let out the studio. When my old K10D needed to be replaced I re-evaluated my choice for Pentax and though I do find it limiting that it is impossible to rent Pentax equipment if necessary and also the long wait for the full frame Pentax made me doubt, I still decided that Pentax was the very best I could get for my money. So I stayed with Pentax and now I shoot with the K-5.

I hope this introduction makes up for the lack of postings in the last 1.5 year. I will try to contribute to the forum a bit more in the future.

Menno

Last edited by MennoManheim; 11-02-2012 at 01:53 AM.
10-31-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard (fellow 46yr older), you've got quite a story.

I'll bet the K-10 still shines under controlled studio conditions, particularly when paired with very nice film-era primes...
10-31-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I'll bet the K-10 still shines under controlled studio conditions, particularly when paired with very nice film-era primes...
Actually I started to have trouble with the second shutter curtain being just a little bit too slow for the studio flash resulting in a shadow in the bottom of the landscape photos. But at a shutter count of around 20,000 it was to be expected it would happen sometime. Still I think in constant light or speed light situations it will still be doing fine.