Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

15 years for upgrade. So long Z20.

Hi all.
After my last camera upgrade (pentax Z20) in 1995 I am happy to say that I am the proud new owner of the K10D. 6 months ago I made the decision to move to a dslr after numerous point and shoot digital failed to live up to my expectations. My last being the Kodak Z740 gave me a lot of nice shots, especially for quick snaps of the youngster, but I felt like I was missing my favorite aspect of photography, that being playing around with settings. Which really meant, I hated not having any depth of field.
Well 2 weeks on, I have begun to understand my new camera. Have begun to get to grips with the settings, haven't quite worked out when I would use the sensitive settings over the standard Tv or Av.
I had a trip out to a park in Escondido, CA, they have a mosaic sculpture area, it was full sun, middle of the day, lots of black, white and mirrors, oh and people, I could hardly see the screen to review, so just used the histograms. I was very very happy with the results. I posted some on flickr, they are being used by a mosaic website. Queen Califia’s Magic Circle - Mosaic Sculpture Garden- Niki de Saint Phalle « Mosaic Art Source
My photos are the ones beginning with IMGP0
I thought the camera handled the lighting very well.

Now that I am beginning to understand the settings and can do quick changes I would like to get feedback on a couple of points.

Firstly White Balance.
From the main menu the choices seem obvious, but, its not is it. Is it better to use cloudy or shade setting on a sunny day to increase warmth, is it better to use shade in the house with natural light? I understand that they are all personal preference and dependant on the shot, but what are some of 'your' preferences.
Secondly, lenses, I have 4 other lenses, from older cameras, the Z20 and some older Sigma manual lenses. How do you know what type of lens i have, does it matter as long as it has a K mount?
To make them work on the body, do I just have to set the custom settings on the (forgot the custom setting), this then allows me to use the lens with the aperture setting of the lens?
If I have a lens that is say a f2.4, and I set to that, do i need to take test shots to get the correct shutter speed, the camera is saying F--
I guess I am asking whats the best way to use old lenses, or please point me towards the thread that probably already discussed this.

Lastly, I look forward to discussing with you all the fun that is 'The K10D'

Oh by the way, my battery lasted about 350 shots, but did a lot of flash and a lot of reviewing, especially with the histogram.

Ordered a second battery and waiting for the grip, B&H ran out, must be popular.

Cheers

Kiwifirst

01-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwifirst Quote
Hi all.
Firstly White Balance.
From the main menu the choices seem obvious, but, its not is it. Is it better to use cloudy or shade setting on a sunny day to increase warmth, is it better to use shade in the house with natural light? I understand that they are all personal preference and dependant on the shot, but what are some of 'your' preferences.
I usually shoot raw if white balance is critical. Then I adjust white balance during RAW conversion on the computer where I can see what I get.

But the K10D has a nice feature: In the Fn menu, go to the white balance setting screen. Flip the preview button; this will take a test shot and show it on the screen with the white balance you selected. Now, as you move through the white balance settings, you can see the effect on the test shot. As you say - what looks best is a personal preference

Secondly, lenses, I have 4 other lenses, from older cameras, the Z20 and some older Sigma manual lenses. How do you know what type of lens i have, does it matter as long as it has a K mount?
To make them work on the body, do I just have to set the custom settings on the (forgot the custom setting), this then allows me to use the lens with the aperture setting of the lens?
K mount lenses will fit except for some Ricoh lenses which have a non-standard K mount. Such Ricoh lenses will get stuck on the camera.
If your lenses have no A setting you must set the custom setting "Using aperture ring" to "Permitted". Just leave the camera at that setting.

If I have a lens that is say a f2.4, and I set to that, do i need to take test shots to get the correct shutter speed, the camera is saying F--
No test shots are needed. Use M mode. Set the camera to manual focus. Set your aperture on the lens, compose and focus and press the green button. This will set the appropriate shutter speed. Then take the shot.
01-04-2007, 08:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi all.
After my last camera upgrade (pentax Z20) in 1995 I am happy to say that I am the proud new owner of the K10D. 6 months ago I made the decision to move to a dslr after numerous point and shoot digital failed to live up to my expectations. My last being the Kodak Z740 gave me a lot of nice shots, especially for quick snaps of the youngster, but I felt like I was missing my favorite aspect of photography, that being playing around with settings. Which really meant, I hated not having any depth of field.
Well 2 weeks on, I have begun to understand my new camera. Have begun to get to grips with the settings, haven't quite worked out when I would use the sensitive settings over the standard Tv or Av.
I had a trip out to a park in Escondido, CA, they have a mosaic sculpture area, it was full sun, middle of the day, lots of black, white and mirrors, oh and people, I could hardly see the screen to review, so just used the histograms. I was very very happy with the results. I posted some on flickr, they are being used by a mosaic website. Queen Califia’s Magic Circle - Mosaic Sculpture Garden- Niki de Saint Phalle « Mosaic Art Source
My photos are the ones beginning with IMGP0
I thought the camera handled the lighting very well.

Now that I am beginning to understand the settings and can do quick changes I would like to get feedback on a couple of points.

Firstly White Balance.
I guess I am asking whats the best way to use old lenses, or please point me towards the thread that probably already discussed this.

Lastly, I look forward to discussing with you all the fun that is 'The K10D'

Oh by the way, my battery lasted about 350 shots, but did a lot of flash and a lot of reviewing, especially with the histogram.

Ordered a second battery and waiting for the grip, B&H ran out, must be popular.

Cheers

Kiwifirst
hello and welcome!

as far as the white balance goes...... you can preview a photo with the different white balance settings right in the k10.... once you see the setting that looks the best, then you can change the white balance from automatic to the setting you want.....works great!
unless, of course if you use raw, then you can just change it in your favourate raw editing program

I like using the sensitivity setting when I know that I want the picture to be as noise free as possible..... sometimes the camera might pick ISO 800, and I will change the ISO to the lowest ISO possible without making the shutter speed to slow. Plus, if I am working indoors and ISO 800 isn't enought, then I can change the ISO to maybe a 1000, so the noise isn't as bad as ISO 1600.

just a few ideas....

good luck and have fun!

randy