Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #1

deus ursus salutes you

(I was going to write the thread title in latin, but wasn't sure if the correct frase would be "deus ursus te salute" or "deus ursus te salutant", so I played it safe and wrote it in english )

This is a hello from Norway. My real name is Asbjørn, a name which contains one of those scandinavian letters that are unfriendly to the internet (or vice versa), and has caused me trouble once before when I had to recover my user account on a discussion forum. Therefore I don't want to risk using my name straight as a user name. It is an old norse name which means god bear, and I thought it would be cool to translate it to latin. Initially I thought about "ursus dei", a variant of "Agnus Dei", but that would give another - incorrect - meaning of the name, and the impression that I looked upon myself as some divine figure, which I do not! So in the end I landed on "deus ursus".

So, enough about my name. I'm an analogue shooter - very. Of SLRs I've only used manual focused ones, an ME Super and now an LX. I'm quite happy with the simplicity of a manual focused analogue camera. A wheel to focus, a wheel to set the aperture, a wheel to set shutter speed (if I'm not using auto-mode), and the ASA wheel of course. Everything available by hand, an no fancy schmancy options that I can dive into in a menu. Therefore I'm not quite sure if I would feel that "going digital" would be the right thing for me.

I see the benefits of digital photography, seeing the result of your settings in an instant, in stead of waiting for the photos to get back from the lab (since I don't process myself), which makes the process of learning photography easier. Storage is also a benefit of digital photography. A 1 TB hard drive uses less space than one thousand negatives ...

But then you have the benefits of analogue photography. I don't have to use a state of the art computer with a correctly calibrated screen to process my photos, and I don't have to spend time in front of a computer screen (which I do enough of in my work) to collect the results of my hobby. And once I eventually buy into digital, I will start seeing newer models with newer, better sensors outperform my current camera, when it comes to resolution, ISO performance and other sensor dependent features. Analogue photography is more relaxed. A Spotmatic can take just as good photos as an MZ-S, under the right circumstances. It's more about what film you use than what camera you have. I took just as good (or bad) photos with my ME Super as I do with the LX.

One thing could definitely make me "jump ship", though: If Pentax released a digital back for the LX (or the ME Super). It wouldn't even need to have an LCD to review the photos on. Just a sensor and then no more electronics than what's needed to read the settings you use (aperture, shutter speed and ISO) and store photos. This would give me the best of both worlds, the "feel" of analogue photography and the convenience of digital photography.

11-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

So why not Ursus Maritimus since you're from up their way
jac
11-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Asbjørn. That's an interesting introduction. I doubt there's much incentive to make a digital back for the older film bodies. Although I shoot raw, a lot of folks shoot in camera jpegs setting the picture details in the menus. It would be a lot like shooting film where what you shot is what you got!
11-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
So why not Ursus Maritimus since you're from up their way
jac
Well, that would make me a maritime bear, which is not what my name means. My name consist of "as" + "bjørn". "As" is norse for god, and "bjørn" is bear in the scandinavian languages. I spent a lot of my childhood in a boat, though, so it wouldn't be that far fetched.

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Welcome Asbjørn. That's an interesting introduction. I doubt there's much incentive to make a digital back for the older film bodies. Although I shoot raw, a lot of folks shoot in camera jpegs setting the picture details in the menus. It would be a lot like shooting film where what you shot is what you got!
I guess it's more like shooting on slide film. When shooting negative film it's still possible to tweak a little in the copying prosess. Perhaps not as much as when shooting raw in digital, though.

Thanks for the welcome, by the way.

Last edited by deus ursus; 11-07-2012 at 06:37 AM.
11-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Interesting thread.
You can scan film and you get some of the perks of digital, but not all of them. The thing is, many people take and process great photos with a regular computer, uncalibrated monitor and free software. You can try getting a used DLSR that isn't too fancy but has all the great features. Maybe a Pentax K200d, that way you can use all your great Pentax lenses (even completely manual ones), you have a good quality CCD sensor (no live view, though) and you don't spend much. Or a Pentax K-01 if you want to get a digital camera that isn't really a DSLR, but is heavily discounted, has a great sensor, takes all K mount lenses, and shows you all the stuff digital has that manual doesn't. Like taking video, focus peaking, taking hundreds of shots on the same memory card, all sorts of things!
Either way, hope you enjoy the forums. I'm pretty sure there are many people here that use film Pentax cameras as well
11-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks! It's nice that you guys find my thoughts interesting (unless you're just polite, and really find my thoughts "interesting", like in "weird" )

It's not about the money, Na Horuk. If I should buy a digital Pentax, I'd have a K-7 or a K-5. They look great (I'm a bit vain, so this is pretty important ), are compact, and give great photos. It's more about the whole process. Like I said, I spend most of my work day in front of a computer screen, so I'm not too keen on having a hobby that makes me spend even more time in front of a computer screen. For the time being I don't have the facilities to process film myself, but I'm in the process of planning to build a house for myself and my family, and am hoping to have a room there that I can use as a dark room.