Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #1

Greetings from Phoenix!

Hey PentaxForums! I arrived here in a weird way but I'm so glad to have found this place.

About a month ago, I was working on a music video shoot. The DP was setting up his camera, when I happened to see a very familiar sight - a Super Takumar 50mm 1.4, mounted on his 5DMk2. We began talking... I had heard of DPs using old manual glass mounted on DSLRs, but this was the first time I actually saw it. He was raving about Super Takumars, and I mentioned that I had a half dozen or so sitting in my house. Long story short, we ended up using my 135 on one shot, and my 85-210 on a couple tracking shots (I had no idea that this lens was so rare until coming here).

This experience re-kindled the still photography flame that was originally the gateway into my career working in TV/movie production. I dusted off my old cameras (H1a, Spotmatic, ME Super, and K1000) and went out and shot a roll for the first time in nearly a decade. I'm now pondering the purchase of a K30, since I've already got some good old glass to go with it.

Who knows where this journey will end up, but I'm thrilled to have found this place, and after a month of hardcore lurking, I signed up so that maybe I can help someone (or get some questions answered - I know that I will have many).

This seems to be a great community. I'm looking forward to being a member. Cheers all!

Ben

11-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome!

Hello Ben, Welcome aboard!
Glad to have you back into the Pentax fold, that old glass will work fine with a modern DSLR, but be warned, there's no going back!
I still shoot a bit of B+W film, usually have the negatives developed w/contact sheet, plus a CD of the roll. That way I can work' em on my PC, no darkroom required.
Hope to see some photos from you, soon!
Ron
11-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum, Ben. Lots of us love using some of the old glass. You might find some of the challenges fun - Photo Sharing and Galleries - PentaxForums.com.
11-06-2012, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the love guys. rbefly, I see you're in Denver - I spend quite a bit of time working there - in fact, I immediately recognized the shots from Denver Pro Photo in your Albums - and loved your shot of the Mayan. Could you recommend a place in the Denver area to process B+W film? I have a lab that I use here in Phoenix, but would love to have a good place local in Denver, as well. Thanks!

11-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Developing In Denver?

Hi Ben,
Thanks for the kind words on the night Mayan shot, it's a classic old theater, they don't build' em like that anymore! Did another similar set recently of the Paramount Theater downtown.
So far I've used Mike's Camera for B + W developing, the location on 700 South Colorado, Belcaro Shopping center, next to King Soopers. $16.00 for B + W 36 exposure roll, develop + contact sheet. $4.00 more for a disk. I'm pretty satisified with the results, but wish they had a higher-res scanner.
Also, the lab is in Boulder, (Mike's original location) so the turnaround is about a week.
Next time I'll try Denver Pro Photo, to see how they compare. I'll keep you posted.
I believe there's other locations, Reed Photo and a few more, but haven't tried them.
Ron
11-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Welcome Big Ben.
Check out the thread "Phoenix pentaxians". We are a group that are trying to have meet ups to go on group shoots. We just had one on Nov 2nd and are going to try another in Jan.
Would love to have you join up

Dennis
11-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Ben, and Welcome to the Forum!!!!
11-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thanks, Dennis and interested_observer. Dennis, I'll be checking out the thread and hopefully see you all around!