Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Migrated from Canon

Recently switched to Pentax - loving the decision to have done so. Shot Canon for years. I'm not a pro, nor do I strive to be (enough people already) I simply make photos. - I work at a camera shop and have access to a great deal of used gear so I tend to get my hands on things I wouldn't normally even consider.

I do mainly Astrophotography with Modified Canon cameras. Within the last couple of years, really branched out to landscape and scenery. Pentax seems to fit just about every aspect, known or unknown, of my needs. I feel like I finally have a tool that will allow me to create what I envision. Looking forward to building up a lens collection and pushing the K-5 as far as I can.

The accompanying shot was from this past Sunday.

Pentax K-5 with Quantaray 24mm f/.2.8
Tiffen 870nm Infrared Filter - 67mm
1 x 30s ISO400 @ f/5.6

Attached Images

11-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF and thanks for your post! J
11-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Jeese, another guy with access to lenses I've never even heard of...

Welcome to the forum.... that's a fantasitic opening picture... you're setting your standard very high...it's going to be hard to keep it up.

Last edited by normhead; 11-13-2012 at 01:48 PM.
11-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Jeese, another guy with access to lenses I've never even heard of...
Quantaray lenses were usually just rebadged Sigma or Tamron lenses. It was the Ritz Camera store brand...

This guy could be our new RioRico. @neuropol, do you have a dremel?

11-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, all. The comments are much appreciated. Hopefully will be able to keep my standards high here!

As for the Quantaray lens, indeed, it is Sigma just re-branded for US sale by Ritz. It's not the sharpest tool in the shed but for wide open landscape work, it seems to do the job.

I do have access to a couple of dremels, why do you ask? Are we up to no good?!?
11-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neuropol Quote
I do have access to a couple of dremels, why do you ask? Are we up to no good?!?
Welcome to the forums. As far as the Dremel tool... they = lens molestations.
11-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by neuropol Quote
RioRico was our resident mad scientist. He was an advocate of using a dremeled to modify Olympus and Nikon lens mounts to make them fit Pentax. He also had a large collection of offbeat lenses, projector lenses, enlarger lenses etc. Sadly real life has kept him away from the boards since June.

RioRico's rules for buying lenses went something like this...

If it costs the same as a sandwich, buy it. If it costs as much as a deluxe pizza, think about it. If it costs as much as a fancy dinner, ask your wife.
11-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #8

Original Poster
I can completely relate to that lens buying philosophy. I've had such good luck with old manual primes on Canon cameras. You know, the ones you can pick up for $20-30 and take images that are so sharp it convinces you that there is no better alternative for the investment.

I have never modified a lens to fit a bayonet but wouldn't be opposed to it if I knew all the 'ins and outs' the design and felt ultimately comfortable with the fact that I could ruin the lens in the process. Just so psyched that all lenses for K mount will work. I have what I consider a nice introductory complete set of options within a week of having switched and all less that about $100 in additional lenses to augment the 18-55 kit lens.

Thanks for the warm welcome, too, guys. Good to know there are some supportive, serious enthusiasts here. - Mark