Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
Forum Member

Hopefully Happy Pentax User In the Making

Hi! I've yet to use any Pentax gear, but am angling for a K-30 (Or K-5ii if I can be convinced it would be that much better for me) with 18-135 kit. Perhaps it should go in another thread, but the 18-135 WR is also something I'm somewhat iffy about. Maybe I should go with just a body and pick up a different lens.

Anyway, if you kind people can give me any advice on getting into the Pentax world, that would be great.

Brent

11-15-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Brent, if you ask your question in the Pentax Beginners Corner I'm sure you'll get all the advice you need.
11-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Brent.

It's a great walk around lens which in the 20-40 mm range is comparable to primes in IQ. It's always centre sharp, in the long end of it's range (70mm-135mm) its soft on the edges.

The 18-135 is a great walk around lens, and a great lens to have if it's your only lens. There have been lots of times I've left every other lens in my collection of 7 home and just gone with the 18-135. The only criticism that holds up is it's not fast enough, and that's a criticism of most zooms.

My 18-135 images are here (click here).

There's a thread on the lens here.

Lots of people who don't own this lens will tell you not to buy it, but if you look at what people actually buy, there's a lot of people who don't listen to those people.
11-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks eaglem and normhead. Thanks for the links and your (very nice) examples from the 18-135 normhead. I am currently leaning toward your advice IRT an initial/all-around lens. I'll probably look at manual focus primes to supplement that setup once I get my hear 'round what/how I'll need to do that.

I'll keep lurking around here and post if I need any info.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

11-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Welcome Brent.

It's a great walk around lens which in the 20-40 mm range is comparable to primes in IQ. It's always centre sharp, in the long end of it's range (70mm-135mm) its soft on the edges.

The 18-135 is a great walk around lens, and a great lens to have if it's your only lens. There have been lots of times I've left every other lens in my collection of 7 home and just gone with the 18-135. The only criticism that holds up is it's not fast enough, and that's a criticism of most zooms.

My 18-135 images are here (click here).

There's a thread on the lens here.

Lots of people who don't own this lens will tell you not to buy it, but if you look at what people actually buy, there's a lot of people who don't listen to those people.
I agree. The 18-135mm is one of my favorite lenses.