Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #1

Trying to decide which camera to buy

Long time "snapshot" photographer. Have enjoyed Leica R3,4,4s,5 and 8. No affordable Leica DSLRs. Have Pentax point and shoot Optio 750. Pentaxians seem to be a breed all their own: guess I am one with the 750 and previous 500. Am thinking about the Pentax K5lls and Nikon 600. Trying for good quality photos and may shoot on automatic/presets for awhile. Want good telephoto lens and a camera that is not too heavy for travel. Also use Leica V-Lux 1 and C-Lux 3. Guess I mostly miss my big Leicas and lenses.

11-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll get plenty of help with your decisions here.
11-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome James, good to hear you're considering Pentax, a very wise choice! As far as cameras go, from what you say you're looking for (weight, auto features etc) the K5IIs would be OTT. My advice would be take a look at the K30, and have a bit of money left for a couple of good lenses such as the telephoto you mentioned.

Qualitywise I believe you will be very happy indeed with the K30. At present I myself have only got an old manual telezoom, but I'm sure others here will advise on the best current Pentax model.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 's' aspect of the K5 - that is the low anti-aliasing filter. The sharpness of images from the K30 will be fine for general needs, and you always have the option of increasing clarity in post processing. Paired with some great Pentax glass I am confident you will be very impressed with the quality you can attain.
11-20-2012, 03:08 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I can recomend K5 (II) from Pentax, its really good camera, maybe the best crop sensor body. If u have money enough for full frame cameras then Nikon D600&D800 and Canon 5D are good options also.