Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm now addicted to Pentax

Hello All,

My journey into becoming a Pentaxian started out somewhat by accident. In 2011, my girlfriend said that when her uncle passed away, he left behind and "old camera and some lenses". As it turned out, it was a K-1000 with the old 50mm f2 kit lens. He had also left behind two Tamron Adaptall lenses, namely a 28mm and 200mm. I thought it would be a shame to waste this equipment. My brother had suggested I take a look at recent Pentax DSLRs because they were getting some decent reviews. So, I decided to take a dip into Pentax waters by purchasing a Pentax KX with the 18-55mm kit lens.

As an owner of the Olympus E3, I had been quite happy with the excellent optics offered by Olympus, but it left me feeling flat when shooting anything over ISO 400. I also knew that present day APS-C sensors were a lot better than classic 4/3 cameras. My first shots from the Pentax KX impressed me immensely. Sure, the kit lens was not a world class optic, but the camera proved to be excellent at making images at any ISO, let alone astonishingly good images over 800 ISO. So, I was convinced that Pentax could make great gear. In less than two weeks, I exchanged my KX for the KR as it offered more features and was on sale.

The Pentax KR continued to please me and I started to lust after the K-5. I tried one out at a photo show and it just "felt right". As someone who had taken thousands of shots with the Olympus E-3, it was important to me to have a camera that had professional features, built like a tank, must have in body lens stabilization and be weatherproof, yet still relatively small. The K-5 delivers those goods and more. What clinched the deal for me to transition away from classic 4/3 to selecting Pentax as my main system was the K-5's sensor. It is absolutely stunning and the quality of the photos when shot in raw deserve the best lenses.

I do not need to go into a technical dissertation to extol the virtues of the K-5. There are plenty of sites doing that already. What I can tell you is that it inspires me to get out there and shoot. It is also the first camera I've owned where handheld street photography at night is possible. Since getting my K-5, I've spoiled myself by getting more Pentax glass, especially the 21mm 35mm and 70mm Limited. I know the DA* 16-50 gets some bad press, but when the autofocus is properly tuned, it's one very good piece of glass. There is a certain "magic" to the way premium Pentax glass renders images. To this day, the K-5 continues to be a joy to shoot and impresses me with its phenomenal sensor and world class Pentax glass.

11-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ohoho, get the 31mm Ltd and your world will be complete.
11-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Indeed it would! If there is one lens I'd love to add to my collection that's the one.
11-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You might consider advising this fellow:
Pentax as a replacement for my Oly 4/3 gear - opinions?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

My final two selections for first DLSR were the E610 and K100D Super. I chose the Pentax and no regrets, I'm convinced that was the better choice. I have a K-x and K-20D. I got a bum K-5 so I returned it. I'm waiting to see whether there will be an APS-C K-3 announced in February before I upgrade.

11-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Dan,

I do not think my reply made it through, I did respond to that fellows post on DPReview and recommended the Pentax K-5.

Cheers,
Rob
11-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

G'day Rob. And welcome.
Good choice and enjoy the difference.
11-21-2012, 11:01 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Pentax addiction could lead to Pentax Mania, which is a serious medical condition.
You should be careful.

11-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfaucher Quote
Hi Dan,

I do not think my reply made it through, I did respond to that fellows post on DPReview and recommended the Pentax K-5.

Cheers,
Rob
I saw your post. Very thorough, I'm sure he appreciates the benefit of your experience.
11-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

This makes me feel less bad about my Pentax addiction
11-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard - you can take some very nice images with that 50mm f/2 lens. I think on a camera like the K-5 with catch-in-focus it is a pretty decent performer. I've taken some nice images with it - full manual makes you think about the process, which is probably half the reason the shots are good. Get outside and experiment!