Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #1

K5 Lenses

Hi everyone! New to this forum and the K5.

I have kept all my original equipment from the 70's and film school all these years (Pentax MX - great camera produced wonderful shots) and now it gets a chance to be really used again - can't wait to get back to REAL photography!!. I am sooooo over the Nikon Coolpix 5700 that I bit the bullet and ordered the K5 which will be here in a few days. In the meantime I have been actively searching all sources for lenses and I prefer the image quality and rendering of old, so, Here is what I am starting with.

Pentax SMC M 28mm f3.5
Vivitar 70-210 f 3.8

From what I read these should be interesting as starters, but I am looking for a SMC M 50mm f 1.7 to fill in the gaps.

I also used to have the MX fitted to my 8" Celestron C6 Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope and drive system, so I would like to see if anyone out there has experience with the K5 in this venue. All my mounts and apadters for the old MX will work fine with the new K5 in this regard.

Thanks for any feedback!

Dave

11-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Dave. Did you order the K-5 with a kit lens? Your 28mm will only be a normal on a K-5, you will need an 18mm lens to match the equivalent FOV it gave you on a 35mm film camera.
11-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Hi Dave. Did you order the K-5 with a kit lens? Your 28mm will only be a normal on a K-5, you will need an 18mm lens to match the equivalent FOV it gave you on a 35mm film camera.

Hey Dan, No, I am getting it body only to save some $$ ($748) since I had some lenses to start with. You can buy the 18-55 cheaper aftermarket from what I see, but prefer prime to zoom. This allows me to use for landscapes and astrophotography. I posted on another area about A50 vs M50 as a filler lens. Any thoughts as to which is best? I thought I read issues with t he M version and secondary flash setups not firing even with the hot strap.
11-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and as a lens suggestion, a DA 35/2.4 AL - the Plastic Wonder ... J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 11-27-2012 at 10:27 AM.
11-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Unmodified M lens only work properly in M mode with the green button kludge, the body is much more friendly to A lens.
11-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yes I am tending to agree, and I just found out that the "A" version of the SMC 50mm can be turned off allowing me to use it in both modes. I take it that any lenses I look for might be better if the "A" can be turned off for versatility.
11-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bayside Graphics Quote
Yes I am tending to agree, and I just found out that the "A" version of the SMC 50mm can be turned off allowing me to use it in both modes. I take it that any lenses I look for might be better if the "A" can be turned off for versatility.
There's no need to ever take an A lens off the Auto position. If you want full manual, set the control dial for M mode. Aperture will be controlled electronically, and may give more accurate exposures.

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-27-2012 at 12:06 PM.
11-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Nothing leaps to mind why I would want to turn off A mode. Perhaps someone else can come up with a good reason.

I have no A lens that can not be used as M lens should I want to. All the A lenses I've seen have an A position on the aperture ring, one simply needs to move the aperture ring from A to a fixed aperture and you have an M lens. Perhaps there are some but I've not seen one.

I think the older M42 screw mount Takumars with a manual/auto switch also work smoother then M lenses. M lenses can be made to work like the Taks but the lens needs to be modified.

Last edited by riff; 11-27-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling
11-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bayside Graphics Quote
If you have an 'A' lens it is much better to leave it on 'A' and just use the e-dial to change aperture on the camera. Doing it this way allows the camera to meter properly. 'M' lenses, or an 'A' lens NOT in the 'A' position require you to use stop down metering by pressing the green button on the camera. That closes the aperture to what is set on the lens, takes a meter reading and sets the exposure. This is fine if you need to with an 'M' lens but just a waste of time if you have the 'A' lens. Note this also applies to the Pentax-F and Pentax-FA series as well.
11-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #10

Original Poster
....Boy.... it's been a while since I used a "real" camera!!! Looking forward to getting back to when I was really in love with this art form. Thanks to all for the input. Will keep you posted on how it all turns out!!