Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #1

Spiratone Mirror Lens

Hi, I am new to the forum. I was led here from a search about the Spiratone Minitel-M 500mm f/8 (mirror lens). It doesn't appear to have any electrical contacts so I imagine it is an old lense. I inherited it about 10 years ago and did use it once or twice I think on one of my Canon camera's. Now I just got a Nikon D3200 after using Canon DSLR's for 12 years after using a Pentax
K 1000 for about 30 years. In looking for a fast prime lens with good bokeh, I noticed a lot of Nikons were labeled "G" meaning it had no aperture ring. I remembered this Spiratone also had no aperture variation and took it out for another look. Another forum answered that the Nikkon G lenses do have aperture control but from the camera, not the ring. Always learning after all these years. If the Spiratone mounts on a Canon EOS would an adaptor ring allow it to be used on Nikon? Also any info on the Spiratone lens - my brother had marked "EOS" and "Macro" on it. I knew EOS is a Canon lens series mount, but "Macro" confuses me it appears to be a telephoto, not a closeup lens? Or both? Or what? Why the mirror construction? It looks something like an old mirror telescope my father use to have (when I was a kid) when I look in the viewing end...

11-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The Spiratone should use a T-mount so you just need to get the appropriate T2 adapter. It's a fixed aperture lens at f/8. The early version of the Minitel-M 500mm with the tripod foot compared favorably to the Minolta 500mm mirror lens in an old Modern Photography test. You can find a copy of this if search enough via Google. There are several blogs/webpages about the Minitel that you can find by searching. One blog lists the later Multi-coated version as superior in performance.
11-29-2012, 12:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
I think it might be the plural coated, it says "Plura-Coat" on the side. Why does it say "Macro" on the focus ring
from 1:3 to 1:6? I assumed it was a macro lens and tried some close ups of flowers...but some one else said it was
a telephoto lens. It sure looks weird, when you look into the end of it you see a shiny donut shaped mirror.
11-29-2012, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

I have that lens. It's my go-to lens when I need a doorstop.