Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2012, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #1
Unregistered User

Former Nikonite joins the Pentaxian Heresy

Hello,

I have been around for some months now, but never bothered to introduce myself, because I find
self-introductions silly. Even so, I have decided to defy my inclinations.

First the formalities: Hi, I am Dominic, 37 years of age.

Now to my story, cut short: I lost all interest in photography a decade ago. During the old days, I always
went for Nikon. The reason for choosing Nikon was partly practical; you can always borrow lenses from
your friends. However, two years ago my little sister told me that she wanted a DSLR for Christmas. Well, I recommended to her that she get a Nikon D3100; that was until I actually got to try the camera out. I was appalled by the quality of the plastic box posing as a camera. To make matters worse: whenever I searched for cameras online,
I would get hit in the face by pop-ups from Nikon; Canon were not as aggressive in their marketing, but still intrusive
enough to evoke my ire. "Never am I buying even as little as a cable from these hoodlums", was my thought.

My comparison of the entry level DSLRS from Sony, Nikon, Canon, and Pentax showed the K-r to be far
superior in virtually every respect. So, I got my sister a Pentax K-r. Jealous of her DSLR, I purchased my
own K-r two months later. Since then I have purchased several fine lenses and today I got my Pentax Q.
All I need now is the Sigma 8-16 and I will be ready to run riot.

So, I am very pleased to join your church. What I like about the Pentaxians is the fact that they are wholly
devoid of the snobbery to be encountered amongst the fanboys of Apple, Nikon, and Canon. You are the
Quakers of the camera world.

Dom

Last edited by Unregistered User; 05-13-2013 at 04:29 PM.
11-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great post!! Love the honesty. (I'm an Apple guy, but don't consider myself obnoxious about it, but I may have been a time or two. ) Sometimes I feel like I have a disadvantage as I've never used anything but a Pentax. My dad got bought himself an ME Super when I was in high school and I got the bug and bought myself one when I was in the Navy. The only times I've had my hands on a Nikon or Cannon is the leashed cameras in the store. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Last edited by OrangeKx; 11-29-2012 at 05:00 PM.
11-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Nice intro Dom
Your next step up to the Pentaxian alter is vintage glass be warned its very addictive.
11-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #4

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Dom! I like your thinking, I'm soon to be an Apple person, but I generally don't like over-hyped things so I totally understand where you are coming from.

11-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How can you not be somewhat snobbish when this is your hero/idol/god?

I've been an Apple user for more than 30 years, mainly at school (I used Atari at home), but I've never come across someone as ideologically fanatical as a Linux user.
11-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, oh dear I'm not quite sure where I stand here, as happy daily Apple user, an old long ago Nikon user
and currently a sometimes Canon user.

With me, it's different kit for different jobs, except for when it comes to my Apple iPhone, which would require my fingers to be broken to part with it, now that's what I call a bit of fanboy speak.

Good to have you here Dominic.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 11-30-2012 at 02:46 PM.
11-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Unregistered User

Thank you all for your kind words. Just a a few remarks as to why this forum appeals to me. Whenever I have sought information
regarding cameras and lenses, I have found it here. The lens review section is truly excellent. Thanks to this section, I have
managed to procure many fine yet remarkably inexpensive lenses on eBay. And I should laud those running this forum for their transparency in regard to the donations they receive.

And yes, wedgetail is right: this "business" we are in is very addictive. How could it not be? The camera is after all a prolongation
of the human eye, and the eye in conjunction with the brain enables you to assess the aesthetic value of an object. The kind of
pictures you take, says something about how you perceive the world ("As a man is, so does the world appear him" - Aristotle).
Shoddy philosophy, I admit, but I hope you get my point.

Dom

11-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome Dom & I look forward to your contributions to the forum. Please feel free to ask and ask again as you find your way down the Pentax path.
11-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

regarding the Apple cult, i have managed to avoid buying any Apple products for all these years. My work assigned my an iPad 2 recently which seems like a cheap toy to me for some reason.
11-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
How can you not be somewhat snobbish when this is your hero/idol/god?

Steve Jobs: Microsoft has no taste (HD, in sync) - YouTube

I've been an Apple user for more than 30 years, mainly at school (I used Atari at home), but I've never come across someone as ideologically fanatical as a Linux user.
this guy is half inspirational and half disgustingly arrogant. i still won't buy his crap.
11-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been on both side (Mac & Win), jumped ship when OS X came out, and I don't miss Windows. Still use it for work and whatever, but love being on the Mac side. 27" iMac - the best computer i've ever owned. But to each his own. Funny how this intro turned into an Apple thread.
11-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
What I like about the Pentaxians is the fact that they are wholly devoid of the snobbery to be encountered amongst the fanboys of Apple, Nikon, and Canon. You are the Quakers of the camera world.

Dom
LOL. Too funny. I am exceptionally bigoted when it comes to Pentax.

11-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Me too, problem is, the only people I know with a DSLR who care to really use it are Pentax people (my dad and a friend of mine). So to all my friends I'm a camera nerd (far from it, but...). I figured out this week I'm also a "Lowepro Snob". Every time I look for a camera bag I gravitate to Lowepro.
11-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
Me too, problem is, the only people I know with a DSLR who care to really use it are Pentax people (my dad and a friend of mine). So to all my friends I'm a camera nerd (far from it, but...). I figured out this week I'm also a "Lowepro Snob". Every time I look for a camera bag I gravitate to Lowepro.
Wait until you get your first Think Tank product. I used to be Lowepro and then Tamrac. Now, Think Tank.

11-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never paid attention to the brand... bookmarked it, it looks really nice.