Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2012, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photochucker on Board

Not much into introductions but here I am.

Old guy over 60 now - my first real camera addiction came back in high school - 1968 or so with the camera club Pentax Spotmatic.
As soon as I could afford to I bought my own - about 1972 or so and have been a Pentaxian forever!!

That camera went everywhere I did for 3 or so decades - put thousands of slides and print film through it and then I just seemed to have run out of
steam for a lot of years.

Got interested in "Big" cameras - 4x5 and 5x7 inchers and then liked the process so much that I set up my own darkroom again
to develop and print B&W. Bug bit hard and the next thing was building a ULF camera - takes 10 x 12 inch negs.

I use digital in my work - developing training manuals for the airlines and would never give up my digital flow but still something nice
about a return to film. Picked up a couple of "Mint" Spotmatic SPIIs on the universal auction site so now have a dual set - loaded and ready
at a seconds notice. Shoot B&W as well as color. Develop my own B&W film - enlarger for up to 6 x6 cm negs to print.

Lenses range from 18mm to 600mm in primes and zooms. I like to shoot in manual and I like old glass as well as plastic fantastic AF stuff. Have a lot of
M42 stuff and adapters to use with all my cameras.

Subjects shot vary from people to aircraft to birds and macro. I shot the 2010 Red Bull Race in Windsor with the Spotmatic with a Tair 33 - adapter to M42 and a 2x doubler.
I would presume that I was the only one there shooting film. It was a blast and I got some amazing shots for a 40 year old camera! Even more fun was the quizzical looks from folks when I had
to reload film into it.

My current work supplied digital is a Nikon D3000 but I am now in the market for a new K5IIs. I think it has enough inside that it could be the new "Spotmatic Equivalent"!!

Have looked around here for a couple of months and have to say I am very impressed with the quality and respectfulness on this forum and am very pleased to
now be a little part of it.

Looking Forward to the interaction.

Regards,

Photochucker - (yes my first name is "Chuck")

Attached Images

11-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome, Chuck.
11-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
That's a great intro, I feel I've known you for years.

Welcome to the forum.
11-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome chuck, you must be the same age as me, I started at Ryerson Politech on Photo Arts in 1967. Spotmatics were what we could sign out for journalism type assignments. (THough most of the time we were required to lug 8x10 view cameras in these huge suit cases it was hard to get through the subway turnstiles. My first Pentax was an SV probably bought in 68. It was another 5 years before I got a Spotmatic, which I wore out two shutters in before I finally gave it up.

Sucks getting old eh? I'm not sure I can see well enough to focus manual lenses anymore.

« Hi all | Hi all ;) »