Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #1

New K-5 ii, Switching from Canon

I love this new camera!!!! I want to do HDR in camera and also with just bracketing exposures tomorrow. Is there a quick how to site someone could direct me to?
Also, Ken Rockwell is the man for Canon and has a site where he explains every option on a canon so you can intelligently set the options the way you want them. Anyone like him exist for Pentax?
I'll read the manual next week. But tomorrow I just want to play. Thanks in advance.

11-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations and Welcome to the Forum!

I have a K5 and bracket quite a bit. So here is what I do, others have other set up....
  1. Turn it on and I am assuming that you have a A or AF or DA lens, If you have a K, M or M42 you are queried for a focal length.
  2. Go to the 4 way buttons - select the top button. Then using the right button move over to the second to the last option, then hit the down button (or lower) to select 1) just bracketing 2) bracketing with 2 sec mirror up 3) with IR remote Note - the 2 second mirror up option will put a 2 second wait for each frame.
  3. You can also use the front wheel to select 3 or 5 frame brackets
  4. You can also use the rear wheel to select the bracket separations 1/3 ev to 2 ev.
  5. push OK to exit or menu to cancel.
  6. You can also use the top +/- button near the shutter release bias the ev above or below 0 ev
  7. Bracketing will work differently based on the mode you are shooting in - Sv, Tv, Av, TAv, M in terms of what is used to achieve the ev. I usually shoot in Av, thus it modifies shutter speed to achieve the dithering in ev
  8. There is an option for a 1 shutter release, as opposed to holding down the shutter release for the entire period (or external shutter release). Right now it escapes me where it is in the menu options - see page 159 of the manual
  9. You can also set the auto bracketing order +0-, 0+-, -+0, etc - see page 157 of the manual
  10. plug in your external shutter release
  11. hit the shutter
  • To disable bracketing just hit the up button on the 4 way key pad and reselect one of the other shooting modes, ending with the OK button to activate the selection
  • To enable bracketing just hit the up button on the 4 way key pad and reselect the bracketing option for the shooting mode, ending with the OK button to activate the selection
To get the best dynamic range shoot with ISO 80 and a good lens, with a 2ev spread.

I have had great results using Oloeno Photo Engine for processing - they have a good online tutorial and a 30 day non crippled trial.

On your other question, I do not know of an exhaustive explanation of the entire camera that is on line.

hope that helps....

Last edited by interested_observer; 11-30-2012 at 08:30 PM.
11-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you - Interested Observer

I'll try it out.
12-01-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You may want to look at Yvon Bourque's e book for the K5. It is really good and covers the features of the camera better than the user manual. PENTAX DSLRs: Download a free sample of the Pentax K-5 e-book before you purchase.