Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #1

Hi from New Mexico

I'm a new-to-digital photographer. I just replaced my stolen Pentax ME-Super SE with a K-30. I ended up buying my new camera and glass in Cincinnati, because New Mexico's unofficial motto seems to be, "We'll have to order that for you." So far, I'm very favorably impressed with my Pentax: even my friends who are shooting 60D's and D7000's have said, "Wow." The viewfinder seems to be the best feature, but using the same sensor as the Nikon surely helps. So far I'm shooting strictly JPEGs as I get used to the camera. I intend to begin shooting RAW once I'm more familiar with the camera. Which leads to a question: I'm a Mac user (OS-X 10.6.8, the Snow Leopard release) on a MacBook Pro 15. What software are people using: Aperture, PhotoShop Elements, or ??? Obviously, I want something that understands the K-30's RAW format, but PSE and Aperture don't seem to get it done unless I upgrade to the Mountain Lion release. I'm glad I found this corner of the web, because it helped convince me that I'd made the right choice.

11-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and welcome to the Pentax Family. I wouldn't get too fussed about shooting in Raw as I know a lot of professionals who shoot in Jpeg. I, myself shoot exclusively in Jpeg and get good results and if I wished to shoot in Raw, having Photoshop CS6 would allow me to do so but at this point in time have found no need. I'm sure you'll pick up plenty of hints and tips here that will help you progress in your photography.