Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #1

Need help on Pentax K-5 lenses...

Iam Jag from Bay Area, just got my new Pentax K-5 with pentax 50-200mm WR lens and wondering what others lenses i should get for my new basic photograpy?

Wondering if you guys can shed some light on my thinking to get the 28-80MM lens for 30-40 bucks.

SMC PENTAX - FA 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 Auto Focus AF zoom lens
Pentax 28-80mm F/3.5-5.6 Manual Zoom Lens for Film or Digital SLR w/ Metal Mount.

Regards,
Jag

12-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That lens is pretty crappy. The DA kit lens would be better, or you could look at some primes. Have you taken a look at the lens database?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Kit Lens?

Hello Jag, Welcome to the Forum!
Adam's right, the FA 28-80mm lens is not very good.
You would be much better off with the kit wide angle zoom, the DA 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 AL. You can pick these up easily (used) for under $100. There is also a WR (weather resistant) version that costs more, but is well worth it.
The one you DON'T want is the DA-L. That's the cheaper version that (usually) comes bundled with a body. It has a plastic (as opposed to metal) bayonet, no hood and has little resale value.
The 18-55mm will cover wide angle to mid-range, dovetailing nicely with your telephoto zoom.
Check the lens reviews for more info and examples of photos taken with this lens. It's considered one of the best kit zooms around.
Good Luck!
Ron
12-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Jag, Welcome to the Forum!
Adam's right, the FA 28-80mm lens is not very good.
You would be much better off with the kit wide angle zoom, the DA 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 AL. You can pick these up easily (used) for under $100. There is also a WR (weather resistant) version that costs more, but is well worth it.
The one you DON'T want is the DA-L. That's the cheaper version that (usually) comes bundled with a body. It has a plastic (as opposed to metal) bayonet, no hood and has little resale value.
The 18-55mm will cover wide angle to mid-range, dovetailing nicely with your telephoto zoom.
Check the lens reviews for more info and examples of photos taken with this lens. It's considered one of the best kit zooms around.
Good Luck!
Ron
Thanks Adam and Ron, shall i keep my Pentax 21870 DA 50-200mm F/4-5.6 AL WR and get the smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Lens?

12-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dream_boy2k2 Quote
Thanks Adam and Ron, shall i keep my Pentax 21870 DA 50-200mm F/4-5.6 AL WR and get the smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Lens?
That sounds like a good idea. If you want better IQ, you could also get the 17-70mm:
Pentax SMCP-DA 17-70mm f/4 AL (IF) SDM Autofocus Lens 21740 B&H

We have quite a few reviews here if you want to see what else is out there (in addition to the user reviews in the lens database):
Pentax Lens Reviews | Pentax in-depth reviews | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: