Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2008, 03:47 AM   #1

Potential Pentax user

Hi all,
At the present time I am a Samsung GX-10 user, but am considering buying a Pentax K20D or Samsung GX-20. I have several lenses. I have the two kit lenses which came with GX-10, a Sigma 70-300mm, a Pentax 50mm 1.4 and the Pentax 18-250mm lens.
I would probably buy the Pentax K20D but at the present time there is a price difference of about £300 between the Pentax and the Samsung equivalent. This is quite a factor in favour of the Samsung. So it will be a bit of a dilemma.
Is there a very good reason for buying the Pentax given the very large disparity in prices?
Terry

02-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
Inactive Account

1. If you care about shooting in Pentax RAW format (I prefer DNG anyway).
2. Menu system appears a bit different, some people prefer the Samsung actually.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
02-14-2008, 01:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good question, Terry. If local service and support are strong for Samsung in your area, and if Samsung resale prices hold up as well as Pentax's a few years down the road, then, since the differences in camera bodies aren't too numerous, I can see a good financial argument for buying Samsung over Pentax. Three hundred pounds should go a long way toward another nice lens, no?

However, Pentax have a far older pedigree in camera-making, a top-quality reputation in lenses, and a name that says "cameras" rather than "consumer electronics," for what such things are worth in terms of photographic pride and cachet. As you can see on this forum, such things matter to many dedicated Pentax shooters. So, do you see yourself as a Pentaxian, or as a Samsungian?
02-14-2008, 01:20 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I think Christine says it well. I was in a camera shop today and the sales/repair tech mentioned that Samsung had a similar product. He did say that the Samsung had a different display and something about the color. I wasn't interested in a Samsung so didn't get the details. My point is that you want to check the details of a Samsung before purchase and compare to the Pentax.
I put an order in for the K20