Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2007, 06:35 PM   #1

Hello from Canada

My New Year's resolution was to wait at least another year before buying a DSLR. The resolution lasted 3 days into 2007. Last night I picked up a good deal on a Pentax *istDS2 with 4 Pentax K-mount lenses. I took it on my first outing today and think it's a sweet little digi.

I'm a fan of M42 lenses and have a Pentax Spotmatic II and two Bessaflexes, one silver, one black. My first SLR was a Pentax H1a in 1967 and I've had a soft spot for Pentax ever since. I like the feel and design of Pentaxes and the M42 Takumars are very good optically. I've also owned several other brands and types of cameras and still do a little shooting with medium format and a lot of shooting with 35mm rangefinders.

I'm recently retired (an IT guy most of my career), and live in the village of Port Credit, Ontario, just to the west of Toronto. Port Credit is a natural harbour where the Credit River flows into Lake Ontario. It offers many parks, walkways, charter fishing boats, and a reconstructed period lighthouse. This is all walking distance from my house and it's where I do most of my photography.

I'm comfortable with both film and digital gear and like both. I still shoot a lot of film, especially B&W that I process myself then scan.

I'm glad to have found this forum.

Gene

Last edited by GeneW; 01-04-2007 at 07:22 PM.
01-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome Gene,
Got my first Pentax in '66 and have been a user every since. Got my first digital in '03 and my second one this last Christmas time, a K10D. Looking forward to your posts.
01-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hooray! It's great to see another person from Mississauga! Enjoy your stay here at the forums and I hope to see some gems coming out of your DS2!

Just looked through your flickr site haha! Liked that one with the x'mas tree and doggie stuffed in the beetle! Couldn't stop laughing.

Last edited by Alvin; 01-04-2007 at 10:03 PM. Reason: add ps.
01-05-2007, 05:56 AM   #4

Original Poster
Clarence, Alvin, thanks for the welcome! Alvin, we're practically neighbours

Gene

01-05-2007, 08:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneW Quote
My New Year's resolution was to wait at least another year before buying a DSLR. The resolution lasted 3 days into 2007. Last night I picked up a good deal on a Pentax *istDS2 with 4 Pentax K-mount lenses. I took it on my first outing today and think it's a sweet little digi.

I'm a fan of M42 lenses and have a Pentax Spotmatic II and two Bessaflexes, one silver, one black. My first SLR was a Pentax H1a in 1967 and I've had a soft spot for Pentax ever since. I like the feel and design of Pentaxes and the M42 Takumars are very good optically. I've also owned several other brands and types of cameras and still do a little shooting with medium format and a lot of shooting with 35mm rangefinders.

I'm recently retired (an IT guy most of my career), and live in the village of Port Credit, Ontario, just to the west of Toronto. Port Credit is a natural harbour where the Credit River flows into Lake Ontario. It offers many parks, walkways, charter fishing boats, and a reconstructed period lighthouse. This is all walking distance from my house and it's where I do most of my photography.

I'm comfortable with both film and digital gear and like both. I still shoot a lot of film, especially B&W that I process myself then scan.

I'm glad to have found this forum.

Gene

HI and welcome!
I haven't been to port credit for a long time but love fly fishing the upper credit near Orangeville.
sounds like a lot of good photo opertunities in your area.
I am starting to wonder if Midland harbour is even going to freeze over this year

looking forward to your photography,

cheers

randy
01-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
HI and welcome!
I haven't been to port credit for a long time but love fly fishing the upper credit near Orangeville.
sounds like a lot of good photo opertunities in your area.
I am starting to wonder if Midland harbour is even going to freeze over this year
Randy, great to meet you. You're in the Midland area? What a beautiful part of Ontario. I wish they were still building Leica cameras there!

Gene
01-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Randy, great to meet you. You're in the Midland area? What a beautiful part of Ontario. I wish they were still building Leica cameras there!

Gene

great to meet you too, Gene

That factory only occationally builds a few "select" Leica lenses, but few and far between.
They are now heavy into millitary optics...... the vast majority going to the US army.

I really love it up here, but wish I had a boat to explore the 30,000 islands, which are only 15 minutes by boat.

Do you fish the lower credit?
Friends tell me the salmon are so thick you can almost walk on the in the fall.

cheers

randy
01-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Gene and Randy,

My buddies from work are planning a trip up to the Forks of the Credit this spring. Perhaps it may be sooner with this warm weather. I'll keep you in the know if you wish to join.

Unfortunate news for those guys in Blue Mountain - 1300 people laid off due to no snow

01-06-2007, 12:07 PM   #9

Original Poster
Randy, I'm not a fisherman myself, but I take a lot of pics of the fisherman on the banks of the Credit There's an annual salmon derby in Port Credit and the charter fishing boats are busy most of the summer -- they go out on Lake Ontario. I've seen fishermen land a few nice looking trout.

Forks of the Credit is a really pretty spot. Alvin, Randy, if you plan a photoshoot there, let's check with each other and maybe we can make it an Ontario-Pentax Meetup

Gene
01-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Randy, I'm not a fisherman myself, but I take a lot of pics of the fisherman on the banks of the Credit There's an annual salmon derby in Port Credit and the charter fishing boats are busy most of the summer -- they go out on Lake Ontario. I've seen fishermen land a few nice looking trout.

Forks of the Credit is a really pretty spot. Alvin, Randy, if you plan a photoshoot there, let's check with each other and maybe we can make it an Ontario-Pentax Meetup

Gene
I would definatley be into that, but it would have to be during a week day as I work weekends

looking forward to the spring

Elora and Fergus is not to far away from the upper credit, this might be a good location as well.... I have fly fished the upper grand river there a few times.... on of the best brown trout fishery in the east

cheers

randy
01-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #11

Original Poster
Randy, being a retired guy, I can deal with mid-week outings

Gene
« Hi | Hi »